==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache 2.4
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

iRedMail is working so well that I am considering migrating other domains on other email servers onto my iRedMail server.

I have a question about migrating messages. The other servers use Maildir format, same as iRedMail. Once I create the domains and users in iRedAdmin-Pro, can I just rsync users' messages into place on the iRedMail server, or should I use a tool like imapsync to make this work?

Thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Merging email servers

good question, my answer won't be as good i believe but...

Once you get your answer,,,

i still suggest you setup a test environment on some el-cheapo cloud hosting and verify to make sure all works without faults. If i had better (not to say 'basic') knowledge of the encryption used for the maildirs i could at least write something ressembling an answer...

mail data is precious... consider this a heads up not to forget to verify before proceeding rather than an answer!

cvcvelo wrote:

The other servers use Maildir format, same as iRedMail. Once I create the domains and users in iRedAdmin-Pro, can I just rsync users' messages into place on the iRedMail server

It's ok to copy maildir format mailboxes with 'cp', 'scp', 'rsync'.

As @mathieu mentioned, it's better to practise with a testing machine first. smile

Thanks for this good advice. I will try first with a test domain on a test machine before proceeding and report back. It may be 2-3 weeks before I can proceed but I will report back once I have results.

One possible gotcha I see right away is that file locations are different. Not really a problem, but I'll need to be careful to specify the correct destination directories on the iRedMail server.

Thanks again -- more soon.

About file locations, maybe this tutorial helps a little:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/file.locations.html

FYI:

Using a backup process that uses rsync of maildir.  Upon restoring files that user reported missing, the web interface account fails to read them as does the Apple Email client.  Apple iPhone account still to be checked but suspect similar issue.

Permissions are -rw-------
Owner vmail:vmail

Even removed the users dovecot* files to rebuild with new login. No change in reading.

Than destroyed user accuont following copy of Maildir. 
Create new account and login.
Successful with mail flowing to box.
Copied a single message from old Maildir/cur/ to new Maildir/cur/ and get failure upon Roundcube login.

Thread is here:
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic1104 … gging.html