Topic: Fetching mails from hosted to mail server - POP3 connection manager.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
============ Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):             iRedMail-0.9.4
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:                      Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend                            (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):                                        Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?                    no
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:                           NA
====

we have hosted Secondary mail MX. When our server shuts down @ night, the mails land in Secondary mail MX hosting and morning we retrieve them. Now we are using a *pop3 Connection manager* in exchange 2003. Is there any alternative for this in iRedmail, If so kindly guide us with step by step configuration. We have tried and installed Fetchmail but after configuration we get the following msg.

__ su****@g*****s1:~$ fetchmail
__fetchmail: no mailservers have been specified.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Fetching mails from hosted to mail server - POP3 connection manager.

I'm confused here. With a Backup MX, it will deliver received email to primary MX when it's back online. Why do you need to retrieve them manually?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I'm confused here. With a Backup MX, it will deliver received email to primary MX when it's back online. Why do you need to retrieve them manually?

Thanks for the reply Zhang. What i mean by backup MX is, its just another IP address with secondary mailbox for all the users that i have created in iRedmail Server. We switch off the server @ night time. So all the mail coming at night will land up in hosting mailbox. In the morning once the server is switched on, i have to retrieve all the mails from secondary mailbox and dump it inside iredmail server's mailbox, so as to enable users view the mails that have come overnight. In case i don't do this, they would have 2 mail boxes and it would create lot of confusion.

I don't get it.

*) Why shut down the primary server at night time?
*) If you need to regularly shutdown primary server, you need a normal backup MX, not just a secondary server which delivers email to local mailboxes. A backup MX will accept emails, but all emails stay in mail queue without delivering to user's mailbox. When it detects primary MX is back online, it will deliver all emails in queue to primary MX.

This might be the easiest way.

5 (edited by surixx 2016-02-13 14:47:05)

Thanks for your Reply Zhang. PFB the answers :
Why shut down the primary server at night time? - we are small company. This practice increases lifetime of server upto 50 % by regularly shutting down.

But we are currently using http://webmail.gojobs.biz as our secendory mx which - itself is a website. We have something like pop3 connection manager that has details like username, password for users with mailbox in their domain. Daily morning, it automatically runs and retrieves all the mails that had landed there, to our mail server and users would get over night mails.  This practice has lots of advantage and also a compliance standard for mail redundancy and security. in-case we use this with iredmail, is there option to fetch the mails from some other provider and re-route it to iredmail inbox?

surixx wrote:

Why shut down the primary server at night time? - we are small company. This practice increases lifetime of server upto 50 % by regularly shutting down.

I'm not sure how you get the number (50%), but IMO, the time and manpower spent on solving issues caused by the shutdown are much expensive than buying a server. A Linode/DigitalOcean/... VPS is not expensive. so why bother?