1 (edited by mfaridi 2015-12-30 20:51:08)

Topic: I have only public IP and want run mailserver

I have one public IP and want run mail server , can I do this by Iredmail , I do not have domain .
I want use outlook for send and recive emails

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: I have only public IP and want run mailserver

If you don't have a mail domain name, how can others send email to you?
Although "username@[IP_address]" is a valid email address, but do you think people will remember this address?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

If you don't have a mail domain name, how can others send email to you?
Although "username@[IP_address]" is a valid email address, but do you think people will remember this address?

Thanks
I want use it in my work place , and I want use it by outlook ,or Thunderbird , I want use it in my work place , please help me , I want make it for my university project, please help me

Even if you don't need a real domain name, you can use a fake domain name to make things easier. for example, you can use 'example.com' as your mail domain name.

But registering a domain name is not hard, not expensive.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Even if you don't need a real domain name, you can use a fake domain name to make things easier. for example, you can use 'example.com' as your mail domain name.

But registering a domain name is not hard, not expensive.

Thanks again.
if I use fake domain , is Iredmail work with outlook or thunderbird ? can I send and recive emails ?

They should work, but i cannot promise.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

They should work, but i cannot promise.

I set up another mailserver by Iredmail and debian 8 .
but with thunderbird , I can send email only , Do I need another config ?

Did you follow our tutorial to setup Thunderbird?
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/configure.thunderbird.html

*) if you don't have a domain name, which email address do your friends/customers send email to?
*) if you use a fake domain name, then what error message did you get?

9 (edited by mfaridi 2016-01-04 18:12:14)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Did you follow our tutorial to setup Thunderbird?
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/configure.thunderbird.html

*) if you don't have a domain name, which email address do your friends/customers send email to?
*) if you use a fake domain name, then what error message did you get?

My config of thunderbird is OK , but I can send only to other mail like gmal , but they can send me email
for test I use this mail , faridi@mailme.com and faridi@1.2.3.4
but I can send me from gmail to iRed server
mailme.com is fake domain
I do not see error when I send mail , but when I send mail from gmail I see this error

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

mfaridi@mailme.com

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mailme.com by fw1-external.wbr.net.reubenonline.com. [209.123.43.20].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 Address not present in directory

when I send by IP , I see

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

mfaridi@1.2.3.4

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain 1.2.3.4 [1.2.3.4].

The error that the other server returned was:
501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax

10 (edited by SteveLuxe 2016-01-07 07:17:23)

If you don't have a fully-qualified domain name, and you're trying to send outside of your local network by using your IP address, most mail servers on the "outside world" will reject your email if you don't use a fully-qualified domain name, with a corresponding reverse-DNS entry (also called a pointer record). Your IP address likely needs to be linked with a real domain name (example: mail.mydomain.com). Otherwise, you're never going to be able to deliver your mail properly, and you'll likely end up blacklisted, as well. You should also consider setting up SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records when you register your domain name, and associate your domain name, and pointer record with your IP address.