1 (edited by kromcuich 2011-05-27 23:08:43)

Topic: IMAP/SMTP access for second domain

I have iredmail working fine for webmail and IMAPs for the primary domain1.com

Once I added domain2.com, I can send/receive from webmail but I cannot connect using Thunderbird.

TB does not autodetect the settings for the domain nor does it connect if i punch them in manually.

Dovecot log shows the user authenticating.
Mail log no errors
Can send/receive using telnet in localhost

Strangely mutt however wants to create a /root/Mail directory upon connecting and lets you in anyway if you deny the request. I believe this is preventing TB as well but dont know where to find the setting or why its aiming to look for mail in that folder

thanks

K

UPDATE: TB connects if I specify imap.domain1.com as the server. Is it possible to map everything to domain2.com as well?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: IMAP/SMTP access for second domain

kromcuich wrote:

Once I added domain2.com, I can send/receive from webmail but I cannot connect using Thunderbird.

What does "cannot connect using TB" mean?
With iRedMail, you have to use full email address as username (login name).

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
kromcuich wrote:

What does "cannot connect using TB" mean?
With iRedMail, you have to use full email address as username (login name).

TB = Thunderbird

kromcuich wrote:

TB = Thunderbird

I know. What does "cannot connect" means? Do you have correct server address and login name (full email address) configured in TB?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
kromcuich wrote:

TB = Thunderbird

I know. What does "cannot connect" means? Do you have correct server address and login name (full email address) configured in TB?

I have all the details correct. TB locates the server settings:

imap.domain2.com
smtp.domain2.com

but it wont authenticate user@domain2.com

I can log in and send/receive from webmail - so the user exists and is authenticated in dovecot/roundcube

thanks for your help

kromcuich wrote:

imap.domain2.com
smtp.domain2.com

Are they pointed to same IP address as your primary domain?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
kromcuich wrote:

imap.domain2.com
smtp.domain2.com

Are they pointed to same IP address as your primary domain?

yes, they are

kromcuich wrote:

Can you try to turn on debug mode in dovecot, see what's happening when you logging in?

In /etc/dovecot.conf (RHEL/CentOS) or /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf (Debian/Ubuntu) or /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf (FreeBSD):

mail_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes

Restart dovecot service and monitor its log file: /var/log/dovecot.log.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
kromcuich wrote:

Can you try to turn on debug mode in dovecot, see what's happening when you logging in?

In /etc/dovecot.conf (RHEL/CentOS) or /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf (Debian/Ubuntu) or /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf (FreeBSD):

mail_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes

Restart dovecot service and monitor its log file: /var/log/dovecot.log.

I've solved the authentication problem (thanks to your advice and refering to previous setups) by re-creating the domain as

mail.domain2.com

and added A records for mail; smtp; pointing to the IP address of the main server. I can send and soon (hopefully) receive. Now, how can i add an alias for mail.domain2.com so that users only have to use address@domain2.com ? I am using LDAP backend

thanks again

Glad to hear that problem was solved.

kromcuich wrote:

how can i add an alias for mail.domain2.com so that users only have to use address@domain2.com ? I am using LDAP backend

With iRedAdmin-Pro, you can easily add alias domains in domain profile page, like this:

http://screenshots.iredmail.googlecode.com/hg/iredadmin/domain_profile_alias.png

If you don't have iRedAdmin-Pro, you can add alias domains related LDAP attributes/values in domain object, with phpLDAPadmin. For example:

dn: domainName=domain1.com,o=domains,dc=xxx
domainAliasname: domain2.com          # <-- This is alias domain.
enabledService: domainalias           # <-- Enable domain alias.