Topic: General way to upgrade

Hi,

i am running an iRedMail-installation on CentOS 5.3 without any bigger problems so far. Thumbs up, excellent work smile
I am still wondering, what he recommended way to upgrade my installation is.
Having a yum repository made me think i just could use "yum update" and everything wil be worked out more or less by itself.
No i found that i still have i.e. phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.4 and so i think i am somewhat stuck with iRedMail 0.3.x.
What is the correct way to check the iRedMail-Version?
How do i upgrade a running installation without bigger hassle? The wiki-documenation on these topics states "this is work in progress - don't do this!"...

Thanks for your help and kind regards,
Thomas

Re: General way to upgrade

thomas wrote:

Having a yum repository made me think i just could use "yum update" and everything wil be worked out more or less by itself.

As you may know, we have a yum repository for RHEL/CentOS 5.x, used to update binary packages.
But we may change settings in config files in new version, it's not *SAFE* to change them while you use 'yum update/upgrade' to update binary packages, so we drop them in a upgrade tutorial, system admins have to adjust settings manually.

This is the best way for upgrading i can image, if you have better idea, please do contact me, let's make it better smile

thomas wrote:

What is the correct way to check the iRedMail-Version?

You can find it in all config files which modifed by iRedMail, such as /etc/dovecot.conf, /etc/postfix/ldap_*.cf, /etc/postfix/mysql_*.cf, etc.

And you can get it with this command:

$ sudo postconf -n mail_name
mail_name = iRedMail

$ sudo postconf -n mail_version
mail_version = 0.5.0
thomas wrote:

The wiki-documenation on these topics states "this is work in progress - don't do this!"...

Thanks for your remind, i removed this notice. smile

3 (edited by thomas 2009-08-19 20:27:43)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
thomas wrote:

As you may know, we have a yum repository for RHEL/CentOS 5.x, used to update binary packages.
But we may change settings in config files in new version, it's not *SAFE* to change them while you use 'yum update/upgrade' to update binary packages, so we drop them in a upgrade tutorial, system admins have to adjust settings manually.

So basically all i have to do is a "yum update" and manually change the config files, mysql etc.?
I don't really get it. "yum update" did not alter anything. Not even the binaries, nothing.

Regards,
Tom

thomas wrote:

So basically all i have to do is a "yum update" followed by "yum upgrade" and manually change the config files, mysql etc.?

Yes (almost).

If addition operations are required after binary package upgrade, we will public relate information in this forum and our twitter (@iredmail, http://twitter.com/iredmail), and push the binary package into yum repository about one week later so that system admins have enough time to notice the addition requirements.

This situation appeared before, but not so much times.

So, don't forget to subscribe forum RSS feed or follow us on twitter.
About RSS feed, you can subscribe to 'News & Announcements' forum for this purpose.