Topic: iRedmail 0.6.1/0.7 vs debian 5 on vserver

Hi,

I am trying to install new mail servers with iRedmail 0.6.1 as well as 0.7 after having an older one running for more than a year already, but whatever I try I can't get it to work. Preferred back end is mysql.

All systems are virtual server based on debian 5, come with a fresh and clean installation and have otherwise no problem.

I update and upgrade the systems, I have to use the backports for python-jinja2, the installation runs according to the installation guide except for the policyd failure message during the installation ('can't access ... user root@localhost') all services run but the apache configurations seems to me messed up as none of the iRedmail files show in /usr/share/apache2 and also the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-site doesn't show the expected links.

I played around with installing apache2 before installing iRedmail and had it going once for the postfixadmin, but couldn't log into roundcube.

Any ideas what else I could try?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRedmail 0.6.1/0.7 vs debian 5 on vserver

Policyd failed is a known issue, it might happen some times due to apt repository related reason. You can try to install policyd manually before installing iRedMail, but please leave MySQL root password empty. And then install iRedMail.

- Not sure why apache related config files were missing.
- About roundcube, could you please paste related log here to help troubleshoot? it should be /var/log/mail.*.

As I am wiping those machines whenever a try fails to start anew I don't have the log anymore but in case I can replicate the problem I will get you the logs.

I will have another try on 0.7 now... let us see what works/doesn't work this time with this machine wink

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Policyd failed is a known issue, it might happen some times due to apt repository related reason. You can try to install policyd manually before installing iRedMail, but please leave MySQL root password empty. And then install iRedMail.

- Not sure why apache related config files were missing.
- About roundcube, could you please paste related log here to help troubleshoot? it should be /var/log/mail.*.

modified
/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname
/etc/apt/sources.list (for the backports -> python-jinja2)

executed
aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade

reboot due to kernel update linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 ein (2.6.26-26lenny1)

installation of bzip2 and python-jinja2

installed mysql with empty password

installed postfix-policyd

installed iRedmail 0.7
with mysql backend

< INFO > Configure User/Group: vmail.
< INFO > Configure Apache web server and PHP.
< INFO > Configure Postfix.
< INFO > Configure Policyd (postfix policy daemon).
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
< INFO > Configure Dovecot (pop3/imap server).
< INFO > Configure Procmail (MDA).
< INFO > Configure ClamAV (anti-virus toolkit).
< INFO > Configure Amavisd-new.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
< INFO > Configure SpamAssassin (content-based spam filter).

server:~/iRedMail-0.7.0-beta1# for i in rsyslog  apache2 postfix mysql postfix-policyd dovecot amavis clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam cron iptables; do /etc/in
it.d/${i} restart; done
Stopping enhanced syslogd: rsyslogd.
Starting enhanced syslogd: rsyslogd.
Restarting web server: apache2 ... waiting .
Stopping Postfix Mail Transport Agent: postfix.
Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent: postfix.
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld.
Checking for corrupt, not cleanly closed and upgrade needing tables..
Restarting Postfix greylisting policy daemon: postfix-policyd.
Restarting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecotError: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 20: Unknown setting: mail_uid
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
failed!
Stopping amavisd: amavisd-new.
Starting amavisd: amavisd-new.
Stopping ClamAV daemon: clamd.
Starting ClamAV daemon: clamd .
Stopping ClamAV virus database updater: freshclam.
Starting ClamAV virus database updater: freshclam.
Restarting periodic command scheduler: crond.
Applying iptables firewall rules:.

the failure in the startup of dovecot is related to the options mail_uid, mail_gid and ssl it doesn't recognize
commented those three... started dovecot

now trying to access https://server/mail , getting the certificate error... adding the exception and then all I get is the error page

Not Found

The requested URL /mail/ was not found on this server.

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-ssl doesn't show any of the required redirects, but even if it would it wouldn't help as
server:~/iRedMail-0.7.0-beta1# ls /usr/share/apache2
build  default-site  error  icons

does not show roundcube or whatever...

also /var/www dowsn't show a thing:
server:~/iRedMail-0.7.0-beta1# cd /var/www
server:/var/www# ls
index.html  robots.txt

another fail... I will wipe the system and prepare it for the next try

greaman wrote:

Many lines. Did you specify mysql root password during iRedMail installation (dialog wizard)? iRedMail will try to set mysql root password to the one you specified during iRedMail installation, and then perform rest mysql commands with new password.

greaman wrote:

Restarting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecotError: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 20: Unknown setting: mail_uid

Could you help check the version number of dovecot with command "dpkg -l |grep -i dovecot"?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Many lines. Did you specify mysql root password during iRedMail installation (dialog wizard)? iRedMail will try to set mysql root password to the one you specified during iRedMail installation, and then perform rest mysql commands with new password.

Could you help check the version number of dovecot with command "dpkg -l |grep -i dovecot"?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide you with all I did from the clean installation on.

As you suggested I did not set a password during the mysql installation (empty password), but as I am forced to provide one in the iredmail installation I had to set one there. However, it will be the same error regardless of me installing mysql beforehand not setting a password or letting the iredmail script handling it. The result is identical.

I wiped the 0.7 trial from this morning already, but the attempt with 0.6.1 on a identical machine this morning shows:
ii  dovecot-common                          1:1.1.16-1~bpo50+1       secure mail server that supports mbox and ma
ii  dovecot-imapd                           1:1.1.16-1~bpo50+1       secure IMAP server that supports mbox and ma
ii  dovecot-pop3d                           1:1.1.16-1~bpo50+1       secure POP3 server that supports mbox and ma

Still... the dovecot issue isn't my biggest concern as I can still make it run... the fact that all the web interfaces are not being installed and also the config file in sites-enabled isn't set correctly bothers me more.

That's weird. I will test both 0.6.1 and 0.7.0-beta locally tonight and let you konw the result.

you can try check out the newest version of iRedMail.

you no need change the ports, because the iRedMail would add it auto.

you only need

1:modify the hostname

2: run iRedMail script.

shake wrote:

you can try check out the newest version of iRedMail.

I did.

shake wrote:

you no need change the ports, because the iRedMail would add it auto.

I didn't do anything to the ports

shake wrote:

you only need
1:modify the hostname
2: run iRedMail script.

which is exactly what I did and it didn't work...  thank you for the attempt but your post isn't helpful at all

Are you use virtualbox?

User have report when install iredmail in virtualbox and have problem.

11 (edited by greaman 2011-01-13 00:03:02)

shake wrote:

Are you use virtualbox?
User have report when install iredmail in virtualbox and have problem.

No I am not... those servers are running on XEN and OpenVZ. And one is running since a year with an older iRedMail.

I installed an earlier version of iRedMail on a VBox and it work just fine... can't talk about the newer once and my connection here is to bad to download everything for a full installation.

The biggest issue as far as I am concerned is that the webserver is being set up, certificate and everything being installed, but none of the webGUIs is appearing nor being installed properly and I don't see any error message regarding it.

Please check my email.

Installation completed on your VPS. You can find config in /root/iRedMail-0.6.1/iRedMail.tips.

I use below lines in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian lenny main
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free

Works well, installation completed without any error.

So, i think it's better to follow official installation guide STRICTLY. smile
It's recommended to make sure you have a working iRedMail server first, then
upgrade Jinja2 or other components if you want.

Cheers,
I saw you made it work. So most likely the debian mirror the provider is using is causing the trouble?

I couldn't get around using the other source for jinja2 as the debian mirror of the hoster didn't have it. I will report that back to the hoster... no idea what they screwed up in there.

Thanks a lot for helping out!

An easier way to upgrade python-jinja2:

# easy_install Jinja2

before you installed iRedMail, make sure the mysql is not installed

debian:~# dpkg -l | grep mysql

if fresh debian, would show nothing.