Topic: email server is rejecting genuine email addresses

Hi Everybody,

I am running latest version of iredmail on one of my servers.. and i am getting complaints from my users that they are not receiving the emails they supposed to receive..

Upon checking the maillogs i found that the mail server is rejecting some genuine email addresses..

Please help..

This is what /var/log/maillog has to say about the error..

Jan 12 00:55:14 <my - ip> postfix/smtpd[6795]: connect from unknown[Remote IP]
Jan 12 05:55:15 <my - ip> policyd: rcpt=2344, greylist=abuse, host=Remote IP (unknown), from=user@otherdomain.com, to=user@mydomain.com, size=44474
Jan 12 00:55:15 <my - ip> postfix/smtpd[6795]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[Remote IP]: 450 4.7.1 <user@mydomain.com>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Please try later.; from=<user@otherdomain.com> to=<user@mydomain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<helo msg>
Jan 12 00:55:16 <my - ip> postfix/smtpd[6795]: disconnect from unknown[Remote IP]

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: email server is rejecting genuine email addresses

450 4.7.1 <user@mydomain.com>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Please try later.

This is greylisting feature, provided by policyd. Greylisting is a great spam killer.

Reference: http://www.greylisting.org/

You can edit /etc/policyd.conf to disable it, but it's not recommended.

Thanks Zhang for the quick reply..

The email address is a genuine email address from a genuine domain.. is this possible that the remote mail server is listed on the blacklisted servers that's why it's in greylisting..

sandeep.singh wrote:

Thanks Zhang for the quick reply..

The email address is a genuine email address from a genuine domain.. is this possible that the remote mail server is listed on the blacklisted servers that's why it's in greylisting..

the greylisting itself is kind of ignorant to 'genuine' sevrers... they are becoming genuine if the pass greylisting for the first time.

It is also not a permanent reject but a temporary hold up as regular mail servers will try to send againwhilst most spammers don't, so if the user isn't receiving the mail within 30-40 minutes after it hit your server for the first time I'd figure that something else is wrong.