Topic: iRedmail on VPS, questions first....

Hi all

I currently have 2 small VPS servers, one with Cpanel, apache, mysql & nginx and the other is control panel-less. It is this one I am hoping to install iRedmail on. However, I wanted to check a few things first.

My ultimate goal is to run my 3 sites on this VPS under nginx, custom compiled along with a custom compiled build of PHP. If I get the VPS reinitialised back to standard (runs Centos 5 as a base) and I install iRedmail first, am I going to have problems installing and configuring nginx as the ONLY webserver along with custom building PHP to suit my needs.

Has anyone else replaced Apache with nginx in an iRedmail install? Any tips?

My reason for choosing iRedmail was for it to handle the email side of things for my 3 sites otherwise I am going to have to figure out how to do it all manually... not a nice thought!

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRedmail on VPS, questions first....

racedirector wrote:

My ultimate goal is to run my 3 sites on this VPS under nginx, custom compiled along with a custom compiled build of PHP. If I get the VPS reinitialised back to standard (runs Centos 5 as a base) and I install iRedmail first, am I going to have problems installing and configuring nginx as the ONLY webserver along with custom building PHP to suit my needs.

iRedMail will install Apache by default, If you are familiar with nginx, it should be ok to replace apache.

Just a remind, iRedMail requires at least 512MB memory for product use, if you want to make it work well in VPS with less memory, you have to disable anti-spam and/or anti-virus to reduce memory.

Wow, excellent customer service - very impressed!

If it is as simple as that I should be good to go. My VPS's have 768 ram but I will be adding memory to this iRedmail VPS and dropping the other one once it is all setup and ready to go.

Thanks again, I'll be back if I run into any problems.

Cheers
Bruce

5 (edited by racedirector 2010-12-30 00:01:24)

One more thing if I may.... is it better to use MySQL or OpenLDAP for this, I won't have hundreds of email users, only about 20. What are the advantages of one over the other?

Cheers
Bruce

BTW, I just completed an install of iRedmail on my VMWare copy of CentOS 5 - went totally without a hitch and I could connect to all services immediately. Brilliant stuff, you are to be commended.

racedirector wrote:

One more thing if I may.... is it better to use MySQL or OpenLDAP for this, I won't have hundreds of email users, only about 20. What are the advantages of one over the other?

Well, it depends.

If you're familiar with MySQL, then mysql is better for you, and you can use PostfixAdmin to manage mail accounts. PostfixAdmin is free and shipped in iRedMail.

With OpenLDAP, you can use iRedAdmin open source edition to manage mail acconts (only mail domains and users), or purchase iRedAdmin-Pro for management. here's feature list: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

Thanks again....

I asked as I looked at the install docs for iRedAdmin and saw the requirement for OpenLDAP. Now I know that Postfix Admin does all I want using MySQL I'll stick with that.

Cheers