1 (edited by devillin 2010-11-26 00:43:24)

Topic: Make my iRedMail public on internet

Hi everyone. Im kinda new to this iRedMail. I have managed to install iRedOS which is pretty simple and straight forward. Currently, I can send and receive emails within the virtual domains in a local area network. However, I would like for this mail server to be public used. I would be really appreciate for you to guide me through with the configuration for making my mail server public on the internet. I would like to have my iRedMail server be able to send emails to other public emails such as hotmail and yahoo, and also receive emails from them. Can you please guide me through this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much

Regards to everyone

2

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

You should configure DNS to point MX record to mail server.

3

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You should configure DNS to point MX record to mail server.

Dear ZhangHuangbin,

I am not very familiar with the MX record. Can you please show me illustrations on how to configure and which files to be configured? And also for the DNS part.

Thank you so much for your interest.

Best regards

4

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

you need config your dns, setting the MX record. consult your domain isp.

5

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

shake wrote:

you need config your dns, setting the MX record. consult your domain isp.

Yea. I know that I have to configure the DNS and MX Record. The problem is that I'm kinda fresh to these.
Could you please help me and guide me through this? Like what to configure in DNS and what to configure in MX Record. Thanks so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

6

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

devillin wrote:
shake wrote:

you need config your dns, setting the MX record. consult your domain isp.

Yea. I know that I have to configure the DNS and MX Record. The problem is that I'm kinda fresh to these.
Could you please help me and guide me through this? Like what to configure in DNS and what to configure in MX Record. Thanks so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

if the dns server is yours to manage, i suggest that you

  1. install webmin since it have a web interface for managing dns service

  2. after wards, browse to server-IP:10000

  3. log in with your root password

  4. go to servers > bind dns (if you're using bind)

  5. click on your zone

  6. add a A record for your iredmail server, then apply configuration

  7. set a MX record that points to your iredmail server, apply configuration

  8. from any linux/bsd computer, try querying to your dns server with host -t mx iredmail-IP dns-server-IP

the output should says that mail for your domain is managed by your iredmail server

7

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

grepmaster wrote:
devillin wrote:
shake wrote:

you need config your dns, setting the MX record. consult your domain isp.

Yea. I know that I have to configure the DNS and MX Record. The problem is that I'm kinda fresh to these.
Could you please help me and guide me through this? Like what to configure in DNS and what to configure in MX Record. Thanks so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

if the dns server is yours to manage, i suggest that you

  1. install webmin since it have a web interface for managing dns service

  2. after wards, browse to server-IP:10000

  3. log in with your root password

  4. go to servers > bind dns (if you're using bind)

  5. click on your zone

  6. add a A record for your iredmail server, then apply configuration

  7. set a MX record that points to your iredmail server, apply configuration

  8. from any linux/bsd computer, try querying to your dns server with host -t mx iredmail-IP dns-server-IP

the output should says that mail for your domain is managed by your iredmail server

Hi Thanks for your help.
I have some questions.
Why do I need to bind dns?
What's all to be included in the A record and MX record?

Please guide me through these process.
Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards

8

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

bind is unsecured and hard.

Where You have domain? Set MX record in Your registrar.

You must set:
mail.domain.com MX host.of.your.iRedOS

You must have public IP.

9

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

devillin wrote:

Hi Thanks for your help.
I have some questions.
Why do I need to bind dns?
What's all to be included in the A record and MX record?

Please guide me through these process.
Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards

bind or bind9 is a software that provides DNS service not the act of "binding"

A record is to specify an IP for a hostname so a FQDN for a server (e.g.: mydomain.com) can be resolved to its IP. Computer can only "talk" / "know" each other trough IP

MX record is to specify which server is the one to handle mail service. In this case the iredmail server

http://www.skullbox.net/webmin.php
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17731521/Usin … -Linux-v19

10

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

dong wrote:

bind is unsecured and hard.

Where You have domain? Set MX record in Your registrar.

You must set:
mail.domain.com MX host.of.your.iRedOS

You must have public IP.

Hi Dong,
What you meant is that I don't need to bind. All I need to do is to set MX record in my registrar.
Here's what I did. I applied for a free domain from co.cc, and my domain is "ictbz.co.cc". Also my public IP is 200.32.232.36.
So how do I configure my MX record in my registrar?

Thanks so much for your help

11

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

grepmaster wrote:
devillin wrote:

Hi Thanks for your help.
I have some questions.
Why do I need to bind dns?
What's all to be included in the A record and MX record?

Please guide me through these process.
Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards

bind or bind9 is a software that provides DNS service not the act of "binding"

A record is to specify an IP for a hostname so a FQDN for a server (e.g.: mydomain.com) can be resolved to its IP. Computer can only "talk" / "know" each other trough IP

MX record is to specify which server is the one to handle mail service. In this case the iredmail server

http://www.skullbox.net/webmin.php
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17731521/Usin … -Linux-v19

I have applied a free domain "ictbz.co.cc" from co.cc, also my public IP is 200.32.232.36.

What's going to be my A record and what's going to be my MX record if I'm going through the webmin? In addition to that, the co.cc has setup that I can configure A record and MX record and nameservers...do I need to configure these?

Also, do I need to configure my /etc/hosts and nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf in my server? What's going to be the configurations for these files?

12

Re: Make my iRedMail public on internet

devillin wrote:
grepmaster wrote:
devillin wrote:

Hi Thanks for your help.
I have some questions.
Why do I need to bind dns?
What's all to be included in the A record and MX record?

Please guide me through these process.
Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards

bind or bind9 is a software that provides DNS service not the act of "binding"

A record is to specify an IP for a hostname so a FQDN for a server (e.g.: mydomain.com) can be resolved to its IP. Computer can only "talk" / "know" each other trough IP

MX record is to specify which server is the one to handle mail service. In this case the iredmail server

http://www.skullbox.net/webmin.php
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17731521/Usin … -Linux-v19

I have applied a free domain "ictbz.co.cc" from co.cc, also my public IP is 200.32.232.36.

What's going to be my A record and what's going to be my MX record if I'm going through the webmin? In addition to that, the co.cc has setup that I can configure A record and MX record and nameservers...do I need to configure these?

Also, do I need to configure my /etc/hosts and nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf in my server? What's going to be the configurations for these files?

from my little experience on setting up mail server

A record = 200.32.232.36 (for ictbz.co.cc)
MX record = mail.ictbz.co.cc (where the IP of iredmail in DNS pointed to this FQDN in A record )

the iredmail server resolv.conf must specify the co.cc nameservers as its nameserver