1 (edited by gilvancn 2017-10-10 09:13:04)

Topic: Configure Thunderbird with server name other than default

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Not yet
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello friends,
I am creating my first personal email server with this amazing tool that is iRedMail and it seems to work fine. I take this opportunity to thank the developers for the initiative to create this great software.

I have my e-mail server called mx.domain.net with the respective dns records:

MX        @                    mx.domain.net                            3600        10
TXT        @                    "v=spf1 mx ~all"                        3600
TXT        dkim._domainkey        "v=DKIM1\; p=MIIBIjANB...QTwIDAQAB"        3600

I believe everything is correct with the DNS configuration of the Emails Server because everything is working.

I also added an extra domain called extradomain.net.

So my question is this:
I would like the name of the receiving / sending server to configure POP3 / IMAP and SMTP in Thunderbird (or any other MUA) to be "mail.extradomain.net" and not "mx.domain.net".

I think I can configure it that way, I just do not know how to do it in DNS. I did several tests without success.
Maybe the "mail.extradomain.net" pointing to "extradomain.net" and this points to "mx.domain.net"?

Do not know. Does anyone have any idea how to make this work?

==== TRANSLATED FROM ORIGINAL TEXT ====
Olá amigos,
Estou criando meu primeiro servidor de emails pessoal com esta incrivel ferramenta que é o iRedMail e parece funcionar bem. Aproveito para agradecer aos desenvolvedores, pela iniciativa de criar esse ótimo software.

Tenho meu servidor de emails chamado mx.domain.net com os respectivos registros dns:

MX        @                    mx.domain.net                            3600        10
TXT        @                    "v=spf1 mx ~all"                        3600
TXT        dkim._domainkey        "v=DKIM1\; p=MIIBIjANB...QTwIDAQAB"        3600

Acredito que está tudo correto com a configuração DNS do Servidor de Emails porque está tudo funcionando.

Também adicionei um domínio extra chamado de extradomain.net.

Então, minha questão é o seguinte:
Gostaria que o nome do servidor de recebimento/envio para configurar POP3/IMAP e SMTP no Thunderbird (ou qualquer outro MUA) fosse "mail.extradomain.net" e não "mx.domain.net".

Acredito que dá pra configurar dessa forma, só não sei como fazer isso no DNS. Fiz vários testes sem sucesso.
Talvez o "mail.extradomain.net" apontando para "extradomain.net" e este aponta para "mx.domain.net"?

Não sei. Alguém tem alguma idéia de como fazer isso funcionar?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Configure Thunderbird with server name other than default

gilvancn wrote:

I would like the name of the receiving / sending server to configure POP3 / IMAP and SMTP in Thunderbird (or any other MUA) to be "mail.extradomain.net" and not "mx.domain.net".

- Point A type DNS record of 'mail.extradomain.net' to IP address of "mx.domain.net".
- If you're using LetsEncrypt ssl cert, you need to add domain 'mail.extradomain.net' in the cert. (this requires your web server to handle domain 'mail.extradomain.net' also)

3 (edited by gilvancn 2017-10-10 10:59:58)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

- Point A type DNS record of 'mail.extradomain.net' to IP address of "mx.domain.net".

So simple and me breaking my head to find a solution, lol.
In my tests, I just thought it had to be with CNAME pointing to "mail.extradomain.net" and it never worked.

Now it worked, thank you so much ZhangHuangbin.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

- If you're using LetsEncrypt ssl cert, you need to add domain 'mail.extradomain.net' in the cert. (this requires your web server to handle domain 'mail.extradomain.net' also)

I configured the "mail.extradomain.net" on the web server with a LE certificate, but I have a question:
Now it gives the certificate error and Thunderbird asks to add a security exception.
This is because the "mail.extradomain.net" is trying to identify itself with the "mx.domain.net" certificate and not with its own certificate.

The solution to this would be to put the "mail.extradomain.net" certificate call in the Postfix and Dovecot configuration file? I do not think so, I'm asking just to be sure. smile

What to do in this situation?

Tão simples e eu quebrando a cabeça para achar uma solução, lol.
Nos meus testes, só achava que tinha que ser com CNAME apontando "mail.extradomain.net" e nunca dava certo.

Agora deu certo, muito obrigado ZhangHuangbin.

Configurei o "mail.extradomain.net" no servidor web com certificado LE, mas tem uma questão:
Agora dá erro no certificado e o Thunderbird pede para adicionar uma exceção de segurança.
Isso acontece porque o "mail.extradomain.net" está tentanto se identificar com o certificado do "mx.domain.net" e não com o seu próprio.

A solução para isso seria colocar a chamada do certificado de "mail.extradomain.net" no arquivo de configuração do Postfix e Dovecot? Acredito que não, estou peguntando só pra ter certeza. smile

O que fazer nessa situação?

As mentioned in my last reply, "you need to add domain 'mail.extradomain.net' in the cert."

Your letsencrypt cert contains mx.domain.net, but not "mail.extradomain.net".

NOTE: we're talking about the letsencrypt ssl cert itself, not the Nginx virtual web host.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Your letsencrypt cert contains mx.domain.net, but not "mail.extradomain.net".

Sorry ZhangHuangbin, I'm kind of lost in your answer.

I have already created the certificate for mx.domain.net, which is this:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/mx.domain.net

And also to mail.extradomain.net which is this:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/mail.extradomain.net

So I need to unify both, is that it?
If this is what I understand, can not configure with the independent certificates as in the current configuration I mentioned above?

Desculpa ZhangHuangbin, eu estou meio perdido na sua resposta.

Já tenho criado o certificado para mx.domain.net, que é este:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/mx.domain.net

E também para mail.extradomain.net  que é este:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/mail.extradomain.net

Então eu preciso unificar ambos, é isso?
Se foi isso que entendi mesmo, não tem como configurar com os certificados independentes como na configuração atual que mencionei acima?

gilvancn wrote:

Exactly, if you wish to use different domains as mail servers, they would need to be on the same certificate. But for the sake of simplicity and to prevent errors, I would hihgly suggest to use only one entry point per mail server. Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be smile

7 (edited by gilvancn 2017-10-12 10:54:31)

Thanks for the help and suggestion, RikuS.
I would very much like this configuration (using mail.extradomain.net in Thunderbird) to work that right, but it does not.
I made tests here, creating a single certificate for both domains, and even then Thunderbird still complains of certificate error. sad

I'll give up and use the same default setting!

Obrigado pela ajuda e sugestão, RikuS.
Gostaria muito, que essa configuração (usando mail.extradomain.net no Thunderbird) desse certo, mais não dá.
Fiz uns testes aqui, criando um único certificado para os dois domínios, e mesmo assim o Thunderbird ainda acusa erro de certificado. sad

Vou desistir e usar a configuração padrão mesmo!

gilvancn wrote:

If this is what I understand, can not configure with the independent certificates as in the current configuration I mentioned above?

Both Nginx and Dovecot support using different ssl certs for different domains, but not easy to do so with Postfix.

*) For Dovecot: https://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotCo … 29_support

*) For Nginx: http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/configuri … ps_servers

*) To use different ssl cert for different domains, you need to run multiple Postfix instances, this makes maintaining Postfix harder. FYI: http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html

Since you have only few domains, it's better to use only one ssl cert for all domain names. Then just use the same ssl cert in Postfix/Dovecot/Nginx. This is the easiest way to solve it.

9 (edited by gilvancn 2017-10-12 21:11:42)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Since you have only few domains, it's better to use only one ssl cert for all domain names. Then just use the same ssl cert in Postfix/Dovecot/Nginx. This is the easiest way to solve it.

Ok ZhangHuangbin, thanks for the feedback.
I have already decided to use only one certificate, to reduce the problems. wink

If in the future, the possibility of this becomes more feasible, let us know. big_smile

gilvancn wrote:

If in the future, the possibility of this becomes more feasible, let us know.

You have to ask Postfix developers to implement it first.