1 (edited by DebianUser 2009-06-30 03:58:56)

Topic: SegFault?

I recently tried to install iRedmail rc-1, and I am no longer able to login (via console or SSH) to my machine.

After completing what appeared to be a successful installation, the installation script requested a reboot.  It seemed a bit odd to be asking for a reboot on a *nix machine, but I obliged.

Upon reboot, a segfault error is displayed as soon as a username is put into the login screen.

Error message:

[24.478546] login[1955]: segfault at 4 ip b7f4c8cf sp bfa57f44 error 4 in ld-2.7.so[b7f42000+1a000]
Segmentation Fault

I can boot into single user mode, have attempted to remove all packages installed with iRedMail to no avail.

Any suggestions for getting my machine functional again?

Running Debian Lenny on kernel 2.6.28-10 - all packages are up to date

Cheers.

Chris

2

Re: SegFault?

One more strange issue.

It seemed a bit odd to be asking for a reboot on a *nix machine, but I obliged.

It asks you whether to start postfix now or not, if not, you should start all mail related service manually or reboot it.

Upon reboot, a segfault error is displayed as soon as a username is put into the login screen.
Error message:
[24.478546] login[1955]: segfault at 4 ip b7f4c8cf sp bfa57f44 error 4 in ld-2.7.so[b7f42000+1a000]
Segmentation Fault

No idea yet why it happened sad
iRedMail uses most of debian official packages, we need more debug messages in /var/log/*.

3

Re: SegFault?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

One more strange issue.

It seemed a bit odd to be asking for a reboot on a *nix machine, but I obliged.

It asks you whether to start postfix now or not, if not, you should start all mail related service manually or reboot it.

Understood.

Here's the message that was displayed (found in ./functions/misc.sh):

********************************************************************
* Congratulations, mail server setup complete. Please refer to tip
* file for more information:
*
*   - ${TIP_FILE}
*
* Please reboot your system to enable mail service.
********************************************************************

Upon reboot, a segfault error is displayed as soon as a username is put into the login screen.
Error message:
[24.478546] login[1955]: segfault at 4 ip b7f4c8cf sp bfa57f44 error 4 in ld-2.7.so[b7f42000+1a000]
Segmentation Fault

No idea yet why it happened sad
iRedMail uses most of debian official packages, we need more debug messages in /var/log/*.

What information from /var/log can I provide to help provide enough information to resolve this?

4

Re: SegFault?

Just a random thought.  I spent almost 8 hours troubleshooting this today (including removing & re-installing the login package) but did not think to check /etc/login.conf

Is there any chance that the iRedMail installer modified my login.conf and some simple editing will allow me to comment out the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

5

Re: SegFault?

suggest you change the machine install iredmail or test it in virtual machine.

6

Re: SegFault?

shake wrote:

suggest you change the machine install iredmail or test it in virtual machine.

Could you please explain more?

To eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, I took the HDD out and swapped it into a machine of the *exact* same specs.  Actually, the new box didn't have a power supply in it, so the only common hardware is the HDD and the power supply.

7

Re: SegFault?

DebianUser wrote:
shake wrote:

suggest you change the machine install iredmail or test it in virtual machine.

Could you please explain more?

To eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, I took the HDD out and swapped it into a machine of the *exact* same specs.  Actually, the new box didn't have a power supply in it, so the only common hardware is the HDD and the power supply.

I have install the iredmail 0.5 rc1 in debian many time in different machine and have no this problem.

include openvz xen, vmware. so I believe your problem is hardware relate problem.

8

Re: SegFault?

shake wrote:
DebianUser wrote:
shake wrote:

suggest you change the machine install iredmail or test it in virtual machine.

Could you please explain more?

To eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, I took the HDD out and swapped it into a machine of the *exact* same specs.  Actually, the new box didn't have a power supply in it, so the only common hardware is the HDD and the power supply.

I have install the iredmail 0.5 rc1 in debian many time in different machine and have no this problem.

include openvz xen, vmware. so I believe your problem is hardware relate problem.

I was also suspicious of hardware at first - that's why I swapped out all of the hardware as mentioned above.

I'll have local access to the machine via single user mode in about an hour and will take a look at login.conf and try a couple of other ideas that came into my head last night.

9

Re: SegFault?

I've  upgraded the libc6 package to the squeeze/unstable version & the problem persists - it now references ld-2.9.so

10 (edited by Suno Ano 2009-07-01 00:15:19)

Re: SegFault?

Within the last two days, I have succesfully installed iRedMail-0.5.0-rc1 within an OpenVZ VE (several times now already actually to test different setups) and once on a plain, non-virtualized, Debian stable aka Lenny. It has always been the amd-64 port.

I never encountered any issue during or after install except for those caused by myself ... misconfiguring/testing etc. If I were you, I'd probably start with a clean slate on new hardware again since you seem to have some arcane bug sitting somewhere in your machine smile

11

Re: SegFault?

Suno Ano wrote:

Within the last two days, I have succesfully installed iRedMail-0.5.0-rc1 within an OpenVZ VE (several times now already actually to test different setups) and once on a plain, non-virtualized, Debian stable aka Lenny. It has always been the amd-64 port.

I never encountered any issue during or after install except for those caused by myself ... misconfiguring/testing etc. If I were you, I'd probably start with a clean slate on new hardware again since you seem to have some arcane bug sitting somewhere in your machine smile

I've done that - I'm now hoping to salvage my old install.  It's a matter of pride - it's been the same base install (obviously lots of package & kernel upgrades over the years) for almost 15 years, and I hate to a) see it die because of a software package, and b) reconfiguring everything on the new box is going to be a pain!

Any suggestions would be great.

12

Re: SegFault?

Any ideas on how I can recover my system after the iRedMail install broke login & causes SegFaults?

13

Re: SegFault?

Could you please post logs in /var/log/* after you logined failed as much as possible? Include /var/log/{secure, auth, messges}

Nobody can help to solve this issue without detail logs.