Topic: Password change incompatibilities SOGo / FreeBSD / MySQL

==================== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7 MYSQL edition.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL 5.36
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Not yet.
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

What I need

I need a password encryption algorithm that is compatible across all the components of iRedMail. What is the setting that I need to pick for all my passwords all over iRedMail so that everyone can authenticate and SOGo can change passwords in the UI? And which are all the files that I need to change to make that happen?

What's happening

Different components are using slightly different algorithms and formats, so they're not compatible with each other.

Background

This is a relatively fresh install of 0.9.7. I've only installed SOGo, not roundcube. When I look at my vmail.mailboxes database (SELECT `username`,`password` FROM `mailbox` WHERE 1 ) I see these entries:

demopaco@example.com    {CRYPT}$2a$12$F9UWawG...
paco@example.com    {CRYPT}$2a$12$CY8vX0x...
postmaster@example.com    {CRYPT}$2a$12$wCgWCO4...
fred@example.net    {CRYPT}$2a$12$OustP4U...

If I login on SOGo as paco@example.com and change my password using the web interface, it creates an entry like this:

{ssha}okqnKw7EALDvVAbC4b.....

Note the "ssha" instead of "CRYPT" and the lack of an algorithm indicator (like $2a). So now I need to set my password back. I looked at this page:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/reset.user.password.html

That says to do this:

doveadm pw -s blf-crypt
Enter new password: 
Retype new password: 
{BLF-CRYPT}$2a$05$rgnN/...

Note the 5 rounds of crypto. If you want it to be identical to what is being done elsewhere, you need this command:

doveadm pw -r 12 -s blf-crypt
Enter new password: 
Retype new password: 
{BLF-CRYPT}$2a$12$mCEPaLQPTiV30P.....

If I put that in the MySQL database table as is, SOGo can't authenticate. If I change BLF-CRYPT to just CRYPT, (not changing any of the password text), I can authenticate using SOGo again.

I edited /usr/local/etc/sogo/sogo.conf and changed this line:

userPasswordAlgorithm = blf-crypt;

And then I did sudo service sogod restart.

Now I see this in /var/log/sogo/sogo.log:

Jul 24 12:48:29 sogod [85673]: [ERROR] <0x0x80bea2b30[SQLSource]> Unsupported user-password algorithm: blf-crypt

I edited /usr/local/etc/sogo/sogo.conf again and changed this line:

userPasswordAlgorithm = sha256-crypt;

And again I did sudo service sogod restart. Changing my password ends up with an entry like this:

{crypt}$5$03YWXmWn5xUs.......

Again, SOGo can't authenticate. It accepts my password, but then I see lots of 'request failed' messages popping up in the top right of my browser and I never see the actual inbox or anything.

What is the setting that I need to pick for all my passwords all over iRedMail so that everyone can authenticate and SOGo can change passwords in the UI?

Thanks,
Paco

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Password change incompatibilities SOGo / FreeBSD / MySQL

*) FreeBSD supports bcrypt, and SOGo supports it while login.
*) SOGo doesn't support generating bcrypt, so we have to use SSHA512 (for SQL backends) or SSHA (for LDAP backends) in SOGo instead. it's supported by other softwares used in iRedMail.

According to this, your users will use either bcrypt or ssha512. in sogo.conf, you will use this:

userPasswordAlgorithm = ssha512;

Re: Password change incompatibilities SOGo / FreeBSD / MySQL

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

*) FreeBSD supports bcrypt, and SOGo supports it while login.
According to this, your users will use either bcrypt or ssha512. in sogo.conf, you will use this:

userPasswordAlgorithm = ssha512;

Rock and roll. Thanks! I've made that change and confirmed that it works. Thanks!

Paco