Topic: Can send but not receive from NEWLY installed iRedMail server

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello,

I have recently installed iRedMail on a new fresh server (droplet created on DigialOcean). Setup appeared to go okay, although I have a feeling that I am missing or misplacing a DNS record, when creating email addresses via the iRedMail admin panel all functions work great, upon accessing the webmail (roundcube) everything is once again great... I can send and receive (internally) okay without an issue, When sending to an external account (my personal hotmail) I receive the mail fine too, when replying from my hotmail account back to my email account on iRedMail, I encounter a mail failure, please see the below mail failure.

##############################

Your message couldn't be delivered. Despite repeated attempts to deliver your message, querying the Domain Name System (DNS) for the recipient's domain location information failed.

##############################

My version of iRedMail is 0.9.7 on a Linux Server (Ubuntu 16.04.2 x64), using Nginx and looking to upgrade to pro but only once server is up and running obviously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you and kind regards,

Connor.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Can send but not receive from NEWLY installed iRedMail server

Do you have correct DNS records for you mail domain name? especially MX type DNS record.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Do you have correct DNS records for you mail domain name? especially MX type DNS record.

Thank you for your reply Zhang,

I have pointed the domain name (Registered on UKFast) to the IP of the DO droplet... please see the attached screenshot.

Am I missing something?

Also, cannot access the control panel using https://www.domain.com/iredadmin/.... I use: https://ip.address/iredadmin/

This suggest's that I have simply not allocated a name or record somewhere, am I right in thinking this?

Kind regards,

Connor

Make sure you have correct A and MX type DNS records.

5 (edited by connor-_-c 2017-07-20 20:47:59)

Hi Zhang,

Are the records in the screenshot not correct then? I'm a tad confused as all records are pointing to the mail server?

Thank you and kind regards,
Connor

Post's attachments

ukfast_dns.png
ukfast_dns.png 37.09 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hello Zhang,

Just a little update, I have changed the Nameservers in UK Fast (domain registrar) to point to Digital Ocean's Nameservers...

Please see the attached images, I think this is the correct setup... after this propagates I believe this should work, is that correct?

I could previously send/receive internally and send but not receive externally... I hope this dopes the trick, unless you recommend anything different?

Screenshots below smile

Much appreciated,

Regards,
Connor

Post's attachments

droplet.png
droplet.png 16.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

name_servers.png
name_servers.png 19.85 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-07-20 

ukfast_dns.png
ukfast_dns.png 37.09 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-07-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

In "MX Records" section, the "Mail Domain" field is "www", it should be empty.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

In "MX Records" section, the "Mail Domain" field is "www", it should be empty.

Hi Zhang,

Brilliant, working! just a quick little change of records and it;s all working great, next thing is to add security onto the mail server to avoid any spoofing happening or compromised mailboxes, any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Connor

connor-_-c wrote:

next thing is to add security onto the mail server to avoid any spoofing happening or compromised mailboxes, any suggestions?

only one: force all end users to use strong password.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
connor-_-c wrote:

next thing is to add security onto the mail server to avoid any spoofing happening or compromised mailboxes, any suggestions?

only one: force all end users to use strong password.

Morning Zhang,

Always use strong passwords, just in cloudflare pointing my records to the IP address of the server... seem sto do the trick, I set this up on an email client (thunderbird obviously haha) and it grabs server info perfect. However after doping this it appears that my mail server then goes to pot, starts timing out and I get this even from my browser when I try to acces the UI

#########################

This site can’t be reached

www.securesender.net took too long to respond.'

#########################

Any suggestions?

Could it possibly be my TTL DNS settings in DO (my first thought) or is it something more in depth?

Kind regards,
Connor

I have no idea when cloudflare is involved. sad Maybe try to disable it temporarily for testing?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I have no idea when cloudflare is involved. sad Maybe try to disable it temporarily for testing?

Zhang,

Can't thank you enough for your support even through the weekend,

The server is up and running, all domains (10) have been added and users for that domain which is all great, I ma however having an issue with the certificate of the server... when adding any of the new mail accounts to thunderbird is has no issues what so ever (Mozilla doing things right), MS Outlook on the other hand doesn't like it and denies it to be added, when trying to add/import the account into my current gmail account too I encounter issues... this is the error message I receive from gmail after trying to add the account:-

####################################################

There was a problem while connecting to mail.securesender.net
Server returned error: "Missing +OK response upon connecting to the server: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot ready."

#####################################################

I have tried to add a certificate to my mail server using : https://certbot.eff.org/#ubuntutyakkety-nginx

But I encounter this upon step 3

#####################################################

root@mail:~# sudo certbot --nginx
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org
No names were found in your configuration files. Please enter in your domain
name(s) (comma and/or space separated)  (Enter 'c' to cancel):mail.securesender.net
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
tls-sni-01 challenge for mail.securesender.net
Cleaning up challenges
Cannot find a VirtualHost matching domain mail.securesender.net.

#######################################################

Is there anything you would recommend? Just this last little hurdle on the mail server I hope.

Thank you and kind regards.
~Connor

All i can say is checking our tutorial here:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/use.a.boug … icate.html