Topic: Just installed the latest version 0.9.6.

Came over this software and it looked interesting so thought I should install and try it. Looks good so far.. smile
But have a little question. We have an imap server today, running an older version of dovecot also against an PostgreSQL database. The difference is that this older version is using a different password scheme, i.e. the following setting:

default_pass_scheme = PLAIN-MD5
(and yes, I know, should not be using this.. )

I know I could perhaps change to the same scheme in the config for iRedMail installation but I do not really want to do this.

So my question is the following. Can you recommend a way to migrate our users to a new installation with the CRYPT scheme?

Also, when copying our users form the old system, can I just insert the user data straight in to the database and the needed tables or should I use the REST API (not checked what is possible using the REST API yet...)?

Regards,

BTJ

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Just installed the latest version 0.9.6.

iRedMail supports PLAIN-MD5 (done by Dovecot), you just need to copy the old passwords and prepend a string "{PLAIN-MD5}".

FYI: http://www.iredmail.org/docs/password.hashes.html

Thx.. But I was thinking of a way to move from PLAIN-MD5 to CRYPT. But I guess the only way is to create new password for all the users, maybe by using the REST API...

You can convert on the fly:
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/ConvertPasswordSchemes

Not sure if I can convert from hash to encrypted but will check it out.. Thx.. smile

bjorntj wrote:

Not sure if I can convert from hash to encrypted but will check it out.. Thx.. smile

The sample script in Dovecot wiki site clearly mentions Dovecot will pass PLAIN password to your script, so ... it's up to you now.

Yes, but I do not have the plain password and I guess neither has Dovecot.. smile

bjorntj wrote:

Yes, but I do not have the plain password and I guess neither has Dovecot..

Seems you didn't read the doc carefully. Dovecot will pass the plain password it gets during user authentication to your script.

Aaah... You are absolutly correct, I see I did not read the doc carefully... I see now that this is a postlogon script....
Thx.. smile