Topic: How to enable Delivery status and read confirmation

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6 OPENLDAP edition
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: 14.04 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): Microsoft Active Directory
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache 2.0
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi!
   I guess that this is a very basic question, but I just can't find anywhere how to solve it.

Here's the cenarios:

1 - Using an external Webmail (Roundcube). When I send e-mails to my domain, and mark the option to "Confirm Read" and "Delivery Confirmation", my server doesn't send the status report nor asks the user to confirm the reading. It doesn't matter if the destination user is reading e-mails with Outlook or SOGo Webmail;

2 - Using internal Outlook, with Activesync. When I send an e-mail to any internal user, and mark the option to "Confirm Read" and "Delivery Confirmation", my server doesn't send the status report nor asks the user to confirm the reading. It doesn't matter if the destination user is reading e-mails with Outlook or SOGo Webmail;

3 - Any outside Sender that marks the option to receive a Read or Deliver Confirmation, doesn't receive any report, and our users don't receive any dialog window to confirm (it doesn't matter if our users read the e-mails on SOgo Webmail or Outlook);

All accounts are configures to use ActiveSync in Outlook 2016.

I didn't change anything on Postfix, Dovecot or SOGo to change the delivery reports (as far as I know/remember).

So, where can I confirm if my setup has this function enabled and why isn't it working, please?

Any tips will very much appreciatted.

Thank you!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How to enable Delivery status and read confirmation

"read receipt" is totally a MUA feature, not a server-side feature. So if end user doesn't want to send the receipt while his/her MUA asking for confirm to send, you won't get one.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

"read receipt" is totally a MUA feature, not a server-side feature. So if end user doesn't want to send the receipt while his/her MUA asking for confirm to send, you won't get one.

Ok, here's some update. Actually, it is only the "Delivery Confirmation" report that is not returning to the sender. I'm maybe wrong, but the delivery confirmation happens when the e-mail arrives in the user's mailbox (in the server, it doesn't mean that it is in the users's client), so it is a server task to say: "Ok, the message was delivered here!" to the sender.

Seems you're talking about DSN Sender Extensions like "NOTIFY=SUCCESS" in smtp session.

FYI:

- rfc: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3461
- Postfix DSN support: http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html

5 (edited by zuotoski 2017-05-03 04:01:25)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Seems you're talking about DSN Sender Extensions like "NOTIFY=SUCCESS" in smtp session.

FYI:

- rfc: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3461
- Postfix DSN support: http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html

Thank you for replying, again. For me, iRedMail is a tool to make the e-mail implementation process faster and easier, in particular for people who don't know much about the in-depth settings (like me). And it does flawlessly.

When I ask something here, it's because I already have searched somewhere else, tried something. This is my last resource because I don't want to take advantage of your help, that you kindly offer for free most of the time (all the time, if related to me).

The links that you've pointed are very useful, the second one I already had read it. But I have to be straight here:

- Is this function already enabled in iRedMail?
- Do I have to do something to enable it (like follow the second link)?

As I've mentioned, I am putting the server in production, a tricky task to be honest. There are many things that may go wrong, I am dealing with some errors that I've never seen before, considering that I am the only one in our I.T. department (there are many like me, that's for sure). So, please, help me.

Your time and knwoledge are precious, cost money, I'd be glad to pay for it if I could.

Thank you!!!

zuotoski wrote:

- Is this function already enabled in iRedMail?

Yes.

zuotoski wrote:

If you check the RFC document ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3461#section-10.1 ), you will find it's actually done by both Postfix (server side) and your MUA (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, Webmails) or MTA.

*) Postfix has this enabled by default.
*) Your MUA or MTA should send proper smtp session data to notify Postfix that you want to get a notify. Search "NOTIFY=SUCCESS" in above RFC document, you will find sample.

So the problem is, does your MUA support this?

zuotoski wrote:

Your time and knwoledge are precious, cost money, I'd be glad to pay for it if I could.

You can buy me a cup of coffee or donate directly: paypal _at_ iredmail.org.

7 (edited by zuotoski 2017-05-03 18:55:38)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Yes, it does. As I mentioned in the first post, I used the same client (Outlook) to test it. Sent a message to an old server and the same message to the one that I've installed iRedMail. I've received the "delivered message" from the old one, but didn't receive it from the new one, though both messages have been delivered successfully to both inboxes.

I also tried with Roundcube webmail from the old server to the iRedmail one, same result: no "delivered message". Then, tested with the same Roundcube webmail to another server and I received the "delivered message".

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but if it is already enabled in iRedMail, as you say, and it is working, than it will be useless to look at RFC documents and all that - right now, I can't afford to spend time reading to understand something that is already installed, enabled and possibly working, I have to make it work as fast as possible. This is what I've trying to do in the last few days, with no success - actually, reading and trying to understand how it works is what I've been doing the most. Don't get me wrong, reading is important and understand is even more important, it's just a matter of circunstance that has its priorities - time is a luxury that is getting shorter.

EDIT - OK, I'll try to be more proactive smile - This is a mail.log file that is generated when I receive e-mails:

May  3 07:34:02 myemailserver postfix/pipe[76230]: 5F53A1841A6F: to=<user1@mydomain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)
May  3 07:34:24 myemailserver amavis[74347]: (74347-16) Passed CLEAN {RelayedInbound}, [192.185.199.XXX]:23284 [192.185.155.XXX] <outsideuser@outsidedomain.com> -> <user1@mydomain.com>, Queue-ID: 49534184161B, Message-ID: , mail_id: a8HdrGXg4Fjo, Hits: 0.498, size: 1887, queued_as: 4333D1841A6E, 3825 ms, Tests: [RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001,RCVD_IN_SORBS_SPAM=0.5,SPF_HELO_PASS=-0.001,SPF_PASS=-0.001]
May  3 07:34:24 myemailserver postfix/smtp-amavis/smtp[76224]: 49534184161B: to=<user1@mydomain.com>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=4, delays=0.16/0/0/3.8, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 from MTA(smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4333D1841A6E)
May  3 07:34:24 myemailserver postfix/pipe[76230]: 4333D1841A6E: to=<user1@mydomain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.03, delays=0.01/0/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)
May  3 07:34:57 myemailserver postfix/pipe[76230]: D369B1841A6F: to=<user1@mydomain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.02, delays=0/0/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)
May  3 07:35:02 myemailserver postfix/pipe[76230]: 3E6B51841A6F: to=<user1@mydomain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)

I don't see anything wrong here, the delivery status seems to be OK and it should send back the "delivery report" notification.
   The debug_peer_level has been increased from 2 to 3, but it didn't generated anything extra.

So, the questions are:
   - Why I don't receive the delivered message confirmation?
   - How to debugg it properly?

To be honest, I am getting frustrated and tired to try without any change....

Thank you.

8 (edited by zuotoski 2017-05-08 20:48:41)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
zuotoski wrote:

If you check the RFC document ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3461#section-10.1 ), you will find it's actually done by both Postfix (server side) and your MUA (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, Webmails) or MTA.

*) Postfix has this enabled by default.
*) Your MUA or MTA should send proper smtp session data to notify Postfix that you want to get a notify. Search "NOTIFY=SUCCESS" in above RFC document, you will find sample.

zuotoski wrote:

You can buy me a cup of coffee or donate directly: paypal _at_ iredmail.org.

Ok, taking all that in consideration I can understand that there is no solution - old users, who were used the receive a "Successful Delivered" message won't have it anymore.

Thank you for your time, I'll buy you a cup of coffe as soon as I can afford to do it (yes, I'm going through some difficult time financially). Please, wait two months top and I'll be glad to do it.

Hi!
   I THINK, that I've discovered why the status report is not being sent back.

We have an ISP that also provides e-mail as a service included in our package. They allow us, clients, to use our own mail server, all we have to do is to change the DNS pointers and configure the mx settings.

What they don't tell us is that even using our own e-mail server, each and every message sent or received passes through their mail gateways.That means that the connection is direct between my server and other servers, but the transmission isn't. When it happens, who is actually answering for any request is our ISP, which is inaccurate for my configuration. This kind of cenario have been causing me other kind of problemas, like false SPF, and also possibly some inclusions on CBL database.

As I wrote, this is only a guessing. Could it be the case?

Thanks smile

I'm disappointed that you didn't even want to read the RFC doc, even just the short section (10.1).
Here's a quick proof to tell you how to ask MTA to generate a success delivery notification, and you can try it with iRedMail default settings.

# telnet localhost 25
ehlo test.com
mail from: postmaster@a.cn
rcpt to: postmaster@a.cn NOTIFY=SUCCESS
data
test message body.

To simply the test, i enabled smtp auth on port 25 and run telnet on localhost, but as i mentioned in early replies, what you need to do is just appending "NOTIFY=SUCCESS" while sending the 'RCPT TO:' smtp command. THAT'S ALL.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I'm disappointed that you didn't even want to read the RFC doc, even just the short section (10.1).
Here's a quick proof to tell you how to ask MTA to generate a success delivery notification, and you can try it with iRedMail default settings.

# telnet localhost 25
ehlo test.com
mail from: postmaster@a.cn
rcpt to: postmaster@a.cn NOTIFY=SUCCESS
data
test message body.

To simply the test, i enabled smtp auth on port 25 and run telnet on localhost, but as i mentioned in early replies, what you need to do is just appending "NOTIFY=SUCCESS" while sending the 'RCPT TO:' smtp command. THAT'S ALL.

Well, don't be disappointed because I've read the docs and tried the test, even before you suggest it (but I thank you for suggesting). As I said, I spent a lot of time reading and trying to undrestand how it works, and the last few days there are a
lot going through here... but I won't try to justify myselef as it doesn't matter.

So, is there anything to do what I wrote in my last post? Can it interfere in the process?

Thank you.

Just as an update: Everything is working now.. To be honest, I don't know what is different, the only thing that I did was an update. Using Thunderbird, I receive the notification dialog asking for confirmation as expected and the sender receives the auto reply.

Thanks for your time and I'll be glad to buy you a coffee ASAP. smile