Topic: Hostname verification errors (FCRDNS)

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version 0.9.5-1
- Ubuntu Trusty 14.04.4, MySQL, Apache
- no iRedAdmin-Pro
====

Hi, I'm wondering why Logwatch shows me this:

63   Hostname verification errors (FCRDNS) ---------------------------------------------------
       63      Does not resolve to address
       61         127.0.0.1        mail.MYDOMAIN.com

(where MYDOMAIN is my domain).

Everything seems to be working fine. I can send and receive e-mails (as far as I know). The number 61 matches the "Ham" (clean passed).

If I test my IP at http://ipadmin.junkemailfilter.com/rdns.php (and others) it shows success, "The IP address for the reverse lookup name matches the original IP".

Is it something I should ignore? Why does it show 127.0.0.1?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Hostname verification errors (FCRDNS)

Is "mail.mydomain.com" your server hostname? If yes, please add it in /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts.

My files look like this:

##.##.##.##     mail.MYDOMAIN.com mail
127.0.0.1       mail.MYDOMAIN.com mail
127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1             localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

At some point I added the first line to fix an issue I don't remember. I think it was about e-mail being received as coming from 127.0.0.1.

If I remove the first line, should I fix my e-mail sending somehow?

Why not merge those 2 "127.0.0.1" lines?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Why not merge those 2 "127.0.0.1" lines?

I did. Now both /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts look identical, with one 127.0.0.1 on each, but it still complains.

I see this kind of messages on syslog:

Jan  9 16:42:59 mail postfix/smtpd[1027]: warning: hostname mail.xxx.com does not resolve to address 127.0.0.1
Jan  9 16:42:59 mail postfix/smtpd[1027]: connect from unknown[127.0.0.1]

Any other ideas? smile

You replied in 4 months ...

*) What's your server hostname? Show us command output: "hostname -f".
*) Show us full /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts  please.

$ hostname -f
mail.myserver.com

$ cat /etc/hosts
80.86.XX.XX     mail.myserver.com mail
127.0.0.1       mail.myserver.com mail localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.lo

::1             localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

$ cat /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts 
80.86.XX.XX     mail.myserver.com mail
127.0.0.1       mail.myserver.com mail localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.lo

Thank you. The issue did not seem to be critical, that's why it took me time to reply.

both 'hosts' files look fine.

Not sure whether this Postfix setting in main.cf can fix your issue:

smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

I tried, and restarted postfix, but unfortunately I still get the same "Does not resolve to address" FCRDNS errors. If the server seems to work, what is the consequence of these errors?

Try this, add "multi on" in /etc/host.conf.

I see "multi on" already there:

order hosts,bind
 multi on

No idea right now. Sorry.
I suggest post to postfix mailing list to get some help from more postfix users.

Thank for the tip. I fixed it by removing mail.myserver.com from 127.0.0.1. So now mail.myserver.com only points to the server IP. No more FCRDNS errors.