Topic: Default roundcube install folder in iredmail?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL 5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache2
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
====

Hey All

Just about to move to 0.9.6 and I just want to confirm the install folder in iredmail 0.9.5-1 for roundcube for me to continue to upgrade roundcube

Regards

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Default roundcube install folder in iredmail?

I can't really speak for anyone else here, but when I do a manual upgrade of roundcube, I put the newest version of the extracted roundcube folder in /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3. HOWEVER, in order to keep everything in proper working condition, I like to create a symbolic link so that /opt/www/roundcubemail points to the correct folder (/opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3).

Basically, after you give www-data permissions to the new folder, and copy the new extracted roundcube into /opt/www/, you would create a symlink like so:

sudo ln -s /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3 /opt/www/roundcubemail

When you run the upgrade for Roundcube, just point the installer at /opt/www/roundcubemail instead of /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3, that way you won't ever have to worry about dealing with multiple versions of roundcube from old versions of iRedMail taking up extra space, and you'll always know that /opt/www/roundcubemail points to the current version of Roundcube.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!

That will help.

Regards

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

5 (edited by heeter 2017-01-29 08:30:23)

Hi

I forgot ask you, when I do the upgrade this way, will the "About" in the roundcube interface actually show "1.2.3"?

Also, do I need to restart any services? I did restart apache.

The about still shows 1.2.0

Regards

6 (edited by SteveLuxe 2017-01-29 09:54:04)

I usually completely replace the old folder. Say the old version was 1.2.0, and I am updating to 1.2.3... Here are the steps that I would normally take.

sudo -i
service apache2 stop
cd /root
wget https://path.to.roundcube/download
tar -xvjf roundcubemail-1.2.3.tar.bz2
cp -r roundcubemail-1.2.3 /opt/www/
chown -R www-data:www-data /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3
cd /opt/www/
rm roundcubemail (gets rid of the old symbolic link that points to roundcubemail-1.2.0)
ln -s /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3 /opt/www/roundcubemail && chown www-data:www-data roundcubemail
mv roundcube-1.2.0 /root/ (keep a backup of your old install, just in case)

Then just run the upgrade, and when it asks you for the path that Roundcube is installing to, just point it to /opt/www/roundcubemail

Then, just do a "service apache2 start" and you should be in business!

Provided that I didn't accidentally leave something out, I believe that should just about do it. smile

Hi heeter,

It's better upgrade Roundcube with the script in (NEW) Roundcube: bin/installto.sh.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Hi heeter,

It's better upgrade Roundcube with the script in (NEW) Roundcube: bin/installto.sh.

Zhang,

Does the bin/installto.sh script set all the permissions, and create the correct symlinks, etc? The last time I upgraded Roundcube, it didn't seem like the upgrade really did everything by itself. I still had to fix permissions, and create a new symlink, etc. Unless you know something that I don't about the new Roundcube package?

9 (edited by heeter 2017-01-29 10:43:27)

Hi Zhang

I ran into the same problem, the install script doesn't seem to recreate to permissions and symlinks. It does create a folder within the current install folder that I wondering why.

Also, followed the instructions, SteveLuxe, Thank you, now working properly

Many regards

10 (edited by SteveLuxe 2017-01-29 10:43:34)

It looks as if it's already up to date. Maybe it went through its database / schema update, and it actually upgraded everything? I'm not really an expert on that, as the deepest I usually delve into the web apps like this, is to read the README / INSTALL / UPGRADING files and to get it up, running, and secured.

You may have to re-run the install if your config.inc.php wasn't copied over before you ran it. Damn! I knew I was missing something in my instructions! My apologies! You probably have to have your working config.inc.php in place before running the upgrade. I'm sure the installer is pulling credentials and settings from that file that are specific to your configuration on your server.

Does your config.inc.php happen to be owned by your web server user?

Hi SteveLuxe

Just edited my last post

I forgot to remove the old symlink

Now all works, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I could help! You're welcome, heeter!

SteveLuxe wrote:

Glad I could help! You're welcome, heeter!

Your instructions are way better than the roundcube github instructions. Their version ends up with the symlink within the roundcubemail working folder.

I'm always glad to be of service smile