Topic: Basic Server Settings (domains)
==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and CentOS 7.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MYSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? - no
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
I have problems in setting up the server in a way, that my emails don't land in the spam folders of gmail and microsoft, although the server settings and emails all seem to pass available online tests (mailtester, port25.com).
Probably hostname, HELO, spf, ptr and dkim records are not setup as expected and I did something wrong already during the setup of iRedmail.
The intention of this topic is not only so solve my own issues but hopefully also to give a guideline for other users what domain-addresses to chose in the beginning (and what not) for the future.
I set up iRedMail with the following input:
- CentOS 7.2
- iRedmail 0.9.5-1
- Server IP Address: 126.96.36.199
- hostname: server.mydomain.com (the name that shows "hostname" on CentOS)
- FQDN: server.mydomain.com (the name that shows "hostname -f" on CentOS)
- Emailaddress example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MX domain: office.mydomain.com
# DNS Records:
- mydomain.com --> A --> 188.8.131.52
- mydomain.com --> MX --> office.mydomain.com
- office.mydomain.com --> A --> 184.108.40.206
- server.mydomain.com --> A --> 220.127.116.11
- 18.104.22.168 --> PTR --> office.mydomain.com (IPv4)
- xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:0000:0000:0000:0001 --> PTR --> office.mydomain.com (IPv6)
- dkim._domainkey.mydomain.com --> TXT --> v=DKIM1; p=MIGfM..xxx (amavisd testkeys --> pass)
- mydomain.com --> TXT --> v=spf1 a mx ~all
- mydomain.com --> TXT --> google-site-verification=aTm...xxx
# Other settings (as far as I knew were to look):
- HELO: server.mydomain.com
# My current questions:
- Should I change hostname to the same name as the MX Domain (Use office.mydomain.com instead of server.mydomain.com)?
- Is it save to do so without a fresh install?
- Should I change the HELO to office.mydomain.com?
- Where can I do that?
- Are there other settings that I should change from server.mydomain.com --> office.mydomain.com (or mydomain.com)?
Hope this all makes sense,