1 (edited by camilord 2016-10-20 06:04:53)

Topic: Allow or Accept RCPT with empty FROM=<> from specific host

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): v0.4.2
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? N
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: Recipient address rejected: Policy rejection;
====

Hi,

Its been a 2 years I'm using iRedMail until somebody reported to me that they are not receiving a bounced email when they are using the other smtp server.

Our setup:

main mail server: mail.xxxx.co.nz
smtp server: smtp.sitexxxx.co.nz (for sending email only)

most of our outgoing emails are sent via smtp.sitexxxx.co.nz but we also send email via mail.xxxx.co.nz

however, when my users send an email via smtp.sitexxxx.co.nz, the bounce email are rejected by mail.xxxx.co.nz

how can allow all and any email from smtp.site.xxxx.co.nz and ensure it arrive in our inbox?

Sample logs:

Oct 20 08:24:33 mail postfix/smtpd[28471]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from smtp.sitexxxx.co.nz[120.xxx.18.xx]: 554 5.7.1 <camilord@xxxx.co.nz>: Recipient address rejected: Policy rejection; from=<> to=<camilord@xxxx.co.nz> proto=ESMTP helo=<smtp.sitexxxx.co.nz>

according to:

5.2.9 Command Syntax: RFC-821 Section 4.1.2

The syntax shown in RFC-821 for the MAIL FROM: command omits the case of an empty path: "MAIL
FROM: <>" (see RFC-821 Page 15). An empty reverse path MUST be supported.

5.3.3 Reliable Mail Receipt
If there is a delivery failure after acceptance of a message, the receiver-SMTP MUST formulate
and mail a notification message. This notification MUST be sent using a null ("<>") reverse
path in the envelope; see Section 3.6 of RFC-821. The recipient of this notification SHOULD be
the address from the envelope return path (or the Return-Path: line). However, if this address
is null ("<>"), the receiver-SMTP MUST NOT send a notification. If the address is an explicit
source route, it SHOULD be stripped down to its final hop.

PS: I did some search in the forum, but i am not sure what is the exact terms. Even my subject in this post doesn't make sense. Hehehe..

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Allow or Accept RCPT with empty FROM=<> from specific host

Seems you are running an old iRedAPD release which has bug in plugin /opt/iredapd/plugins/reject_null_sender.py. Please show us output of command:

ls -l /opt

A temporary solution is disabling this plugin in /opt/iredapd/settings.py.

Thanks for the reply...

Yep. I haven't updated it yet. smile

[root@mail ~]# ls -l /opt
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root    root      18 Jul 31  2015 iredapd -> /opt/iRedAPD-1.6.0
dr-xr-xr-x 6 iredapd iredapd 4096 Jul 31  2015 iRedAPD-1.6.0

hello ZhangHuangbin,

thank you so much.. finally works...

was stuck solving that issue for 2 days now.

It seems I owe a lot on you...

I will make a proposal to my boss to purchase the pro version.

Can we hire you to upgrade our mail server to the latest version right? $39 = issue = upgrade ? smile

camilord wrote:

I will make a proposal to my boss to purchase the pro version.

Thank you.

camilord wrote:

Can we hire you to upgrade our mail server to the latest version right? $39 = issue = upgrade ? smile

Sure, we offer remote upgrade support:
http://www.iredmail.org/support.html

cool. thanks Zhang..

get in touch soon...

you can closed this issue now.