Topic: Backup MX & Relay setting

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Linux mxams1 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u1 (2016-09-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello, what I want to get is:

@  MX  mx1.domain.com 1
(IP: 1.1.1.1)
@  MX  mx2.domain.com 5
(IP: 2.2.2.2)
--

When mx1 is down, I would like to get all mails delivered to mx2 and get them automatically copied to mx1 when it goes up and this should be a secured TLS communication.

Would you please point me to a guide on how to accomplish this?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by teo 2016-09-22 19:14:53)

Re: Backup MX & Relay setting

Is configuring postfix as a relay on mx2 a right approach or is there anything else that should be done in order to get it working smoothly? For example, is there any point/way to get a completely replicated MX server on mx2 so it can be used independently until mx1 is down, and get synced when it is up? Please, advise how people usually do this?

That tutorial is ok, it should work fine. smile

Although it's ok, but not perfect. With so simple configuration, your backup mx cannot reject any spam.

Thanks for your prompt answer, Zhang! Would you please point me to a more workable solution? I guess this should be a common use case for one mail server... Please, advise!

Zhang?.. Would you please help me with this? Much appreciated!

The tutorial you use is ok:
https://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_backup_mx

But if you don't have mail accounts on mx2, Postfix (on mx2) cannot know which email addresses are hosted on mx1/mx2, so it will simply accept all emails sent to <user>@your_domain.com. You may get more spams.