- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello,
Email server has been online for about a day now, about 125 users half of those constantly accessing from different wifi's and such. Every place they go Fail2Ban is adding the IP address and blocking their access to email. Is there a way to lessen the strictness of what determines IPs get added to Fail2Ban jail? I've already decreased the ban time and increased the retrys to 10.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Need Fail2Ban advice

Why were they blocked in fail2ban if they have correct username/password in their MUAs?

What's the error message (failure) in Postfix/Dovecot/Nginx log files triggered the block?

I found the included fail2ban rules to be too strict on failed password attempts. A problem I encountered regularly was people changing their password and update it on their desktop, but forgetting to update it on their phone and their home IP would become blocked.

I have no idea how to solve this 'issue'.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Why were they blocked in fail2ban if they have correct username/password in their MUAs?

What's the error message (failure) in Postfix/Dovecot/Nginx log files triggered the block?

Thank you, I had a brain skip, It was because even though we switched from a outsourced host to our own server, I kept the mail server name the same, so it was connecting to the new server with the old credentials, causing it to ban. Now that most devices have been updated the problem is gone. Thank you for your help once again.