==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 8 Jessie
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): Mysql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apacje 2.4
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? yes
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

redacted the FQDN and inserted mailserver instead.
after running some security updates on debian Clamac-daemon stopped working, I had to comment out AllowSupplementaryGroups in the /etc/clamav/clamd.conf to get it working again.

Here the status before I commented it out:
service clamav-daemon status
● clamav-daemon.service - Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2016-06-24 08:33:09 CEST; 5min ago
     Docs: man:clamd(8)
           man:clamd.conf(5)
           http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/doc/
  Process: 2041 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/clamd --foreground=true (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 2041 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 24 08:33:09 mailsever clamd[2041]: ERROR: Parse error at line 11: Unknown option AllowSupplementaryGroups
Jun 24 08:33:09 mailserver clamd[2041]: ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/clamav/clamd.conf
Jun 24 08:33:09 mailserver systemd[1]: clamav-daemon.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 24 08:33:09 mailserver systemd[1]: Unit clamav-daemon.service entered failed state.

And heres the status afterwards:
ervice clamav-daemon status
● clamav-daemon.service - Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2016-06-24 08:39:53 CEST; 1s ago
     Docs: man:clamd(8)
           man:clamd.conf(5)
           http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/doc/
Main PID: 2218 (clamd)
   CGroup: /system.slice/clamav-daemon.service
           └─2218 /usr/sbin/clamd --foreground=true

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: clamd(clam-daemon) not starting

I had the exact same problem as you with Debian 8.5-1, when ClamAV was updated. I had to manually run:

systemctl enable clamav-daemon.service, as well as comment out line 11 in /etc/clamav/clamd.conf

# AllowSupplementaryGroups

After doing all of this, and starting the clamd daemon, everything started working again. You're not the only person who has run into this problem after updating to Debian 8.5-1. I did the exact same thing that you did in order to fix the problem.

Remove or comment out parameter 'AllowSupplementaryGroups' in /etc/clamav/clamd.conf, then restart it.

Zhang,

If you re-read the posts, we both did that step. We're just posting this to help other Debian users who may also have this problem. For some reason, the systemd service has to be re-enabled, as well after the last upgrade, or it does not start automatically...

SteveLuxe wrote:

If you re-read the posts, we both did that step. We're just posting this to help other Debian users who may also have this problem. For some reason, the systemd service has to be re-enabled, as well after the last upgrade, or it does not start automatically...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing.

Personally, i think it's a packaging issue, the package post-install (or post-upgrade) script should handle this automatically.
Did you report this issue to package maintainer?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
SteveLuxe wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing.

Personally, i think it's a packaging issue, the package post-install (or post-upgrade) script should handle this automatically.
Did you report this issue to package maintainer?

No, I didn't, because up until now, I didn't know whether or not I was the only person having this problem. I guess it may be wise at this point to notify the maintainer. Thanks, Zhang!

I reported this issue by sending email to maintainer (ClamAV Team, pkg-clamav-devel _at_ lists.alioth.debian.org) moment ago, hope they will fix it soon.

Thanks Zhang! I had intended on emailing them after the last post, but you beat me to it! Thank you!

Thanks for the quick reply and also for mailing the maintainer!
Superb!

/Per

Got reply from maintainer Scott Kitterman:

Scott Kitterman wrote:

We are aware of this and are waiting for approval from the stable release
managers to upload a fix for this. 

Scott K

I suppose my job is done here, let's just wait for maintainers to roll out a new version.