1 (edited by ph7 2016-06-18 16:27:53)

Topic: Postfix STARTTLS Crashes with openSSL zlib (signal 11 on smtp connect)

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD 10.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): Percona MySQL56
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx 1.10
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? yes, 2.4.0
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: N/A
====
My use case: trying to send daily system run output mail from jails using ssmtp to a remote iRedMail postfix mail server.
ssmtp would connect to the mail server via port 587 but postfix would crash when Ready to start TLS.
with the following error in the maillog:

postfix/master[18361]: warning: process /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 76979 killed by signal 11
postfix/master[18361]: warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling

As it turned out after hours and hours of time spent on debugging
removing zlib compression from the openSSL installation options and recompiling openSSL
resolved this issue

On a side note: this issue is not caused by or related to software packages included in iRedMail, or one the IRedMail project packages itself. zlib compression is not enabled by default in openSSL. So most users may not experience this problem.
But this information may be useful to those like me who like to venture out of the default track or have special requirements.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Postfix STARTTLS Crashes with openSSL zlib (signal 11 on smtp connect)

Does it work if you send email with a normal MUA like Outlook, Thunderbird?

By the way, iRedMail uses the default openssl port compile options, and 'zlib' is not enabled by default. Did you change any port option?

I only experienced significant problems with sending messages via Ssmtp as replacement to sendmail. I did receive however a lot of notice level log messages concerning lost connection to the MySQL database.

Once I reinstalled openSSL without the zlib compression port option all errors disappeared and the applications started to run smoothly again as I have grown accustomed to in the 4-5 years or so that I have been using iRedMail.

The issue that I experienced had nothing to do with iRedmail itself, but was caused due to my own fault.

In this case I did a manual fresh install of the new 0.9.5-1 IRedMail release + migration and upgrade from 0.9.4
using the functions/packages_freebsd.sh script as reference. I also replaced Oracle MySQL with Percona MySQL.
The iRedMail.sh install script and automated install procedure have never really worked for me.
Maybe this is due to my setup whereby I run the mail server in a separate jail behind a jailed reverse proxy and pf firewall.

Thank you ZhangHuangbin for an otherwise great product!

I'm sorry that i don't quite sure what the issue is and how i can help fix it. sad