1 (edited by furtherside 2016-01-26 11:33:28)

Topic: Newbie use-case question

I'm developing a WordPress multisite installation that eventually will have a few hundred sites in the network, with domain-mapping (so users can have www.foo.com instead of foo.multisite.com).  I know how to get this working.

I'm trying to figure out the best email solution and I came across iredmail very quickly, as it seems to have an excellent reputation.  I just want to know if it is possible to configure this solution:

1.  Single installation of iredmail on Amazon AWS EC2 cloud instance.

2.  Use Amazon SES as the mail transport system (I apologize if I am not using the correct terminology).

3.  My users will be able to have personal emails with their own domain:  jim@foo1.com, bill@foo2.com, tom@foo3.com -- etc.

4.  Integrate with a web email client like roundcube, so users can visit URL:  www.foo1.com/webmail -- and access their own email, be able to change email password and other profile settings.

I am a developer but I do not want to have to write a lot of glue code to make this work - is this a typical/standard use-case and should I expect to be able to do the installation and easily configure this - or will this be very difficult?

Thank you for any advice or insight you can give me.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Newbie use-case question

You can send email with EITHER iRedMail OR Amazon SES. You can also use Amazon SES as a relay server on iRedMail. So, please make sure what you want to use.

*) iRedMail installation is easy.
*) Enabling URLs like 'www.foo1.com/webmail' (In Apache/Nginx) is easy too.
*) Sending email via SMTP protocol (port 587) is easy too.

ok, thank you for confirming.

I read Amazon SES documentation but it seems more like an infrastructure offering rather than a solution.  iredmail seems like a solution to me -- but if it sat on top of Amazon SES (with Amazon mail management features, good email reputation so emails don't get blacklisted, etc.) -- that seemed like a potential good combination to me.

Am I understanding it wrong?  If I use iredmail then I do not touch Amazon SES at all and I just run iredmail in an Amazon EC2 instance?

furtherside wrote:

If I use iredmail then I do not touch Amazon SES at all and I just run iredmail in an Amazon EC2 instance?

Correct.