Topic: New Feature Request

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi Zhang,

New feature request for open source iRedAdmin,

Aliases and forwarding.

I believe that more people will use the open source version and therefore upgrade to Pro if the user aliases feature, stripped down to the basic one alias to multiple people, not selectable by the users edit screen, no moderator and such.

and user mailbox forwarding seems like it should be a real basic function.

My opinion in getting companies to use the product. I can't use the basic product and must upgrade to Pro with will not fly with many startups.

Jim

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: New Feature Request

Sorry, no plan to add them.

As you already know, iRedAdmin-Pro has those features. This is a marketing strategy, if people get all features, who's going to buy iRedAdmin-Pro?

Zhang,

Yes I know the strategy, but these would make the free package more usable and more likely that someone would upgrade. Right now when I recommend the software I HAVE to try to get them to use the paid version and I can't get them hooked on it with the free version.

I essentially do it with scripts at the command line.

Jim

The problem might be: the features are just enough, and most people stay with this free edition. So, sorry about this.

Maybe you can show them our online demo?
http://www.iredmail.org/admin_demo.html

This may just fit what you're looking for, Jpforte. A friend of mine wrote this front-end for managing accounts / aliases / forwarding, etc. He's an iRedMail user, as well, and wanted an easy-to-use interface to manage these things for those of us who don't have the extra $500 to spare.

https://github.com/johnnyq/mailadmin

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I also believe that aliases should be something that can be managed with the open-source edition. There are plenty of features that can still be included in the Pro version like SQL Whitelisting / Blacklisting, etc. I use this particular page on my iRedMail server, and it works great for managing aliases. This is really important, because if you're running multiple domains, you need to have an alias for postmaster and abuse for those domains, and it should probably forward to one central email address if you're the main administrator of the server. At any rate, I use Johnny's front-end for managing this stuff. It works really well for me.

Thanks for sharing. smile

Thanks SteveLuxe I will try it and YES very important to build postmaster, info, webmaster, abuse, no_reply at every domain.