============ Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): v0.3.3
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 14.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: No, print screen
====

Hello, I'm hoping someone has a solution.  Using Joomla to send mail from a module to the enquirer's email with a copy to the Joomla account. See attached screen grabs in attached.

The issue is that if I use the same email address in the "from email" and "SMTP username" or even a different account on the host I get a bounce with this error:
" 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 553-'5.7.1 <info@xxxxxxxx.com.au>: Sender address rejected: not logged in'.  If I use a nonsense email address in the from email field all is well.  I understand why the mail server is bouncing when I use the same email address in both fields.

What I'm hoping for is a solution so both emails can be the same.  The problem in using a dummy email to send the email is obviously if the recipient click on reply.

Cheers, Greg

Post's attachments

Quick Notes.pdf 75.63 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-09-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Error with Host and Sender same email address

Vortex wrote:

" 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 553-'5.7.1 <info@xxxxxxxx.com.au>: Sender address rejected: not logged in'. 

reference: http://www.iredmail.org/docs/errors.htm … -logged-in

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
Vortex wrote:

" 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 553-'5.7.1 <info@xxxxxxxx.com.au>: Sender address rejected: not logged in'. 

reference: http://www.iredmail.org/docs/errors.htm … -logged-in

Hello and thanks for this.  I'm aware of the post you referenced. 

My issue is using the same email username for both sending from Joomla and logging into the mail server.  I get an error unless I use a dummy email address in the from field in Joomla.  The attached screen grabs from last post will indicate the place in Joomla.

My current fix is working, but if the recipient hits reply in the sent email it goes to the dummy address.  I'm hoping there is a work around so both Joomla from user email address and login user email address can be the same.

Thanks, Greg

Hi Greg,

Please check the link in my previous post, it answers your question.

Again thanks.  And yes this post is correct, but it doesn't solve my problem where the sender email and the login email are the same.  As soon as I put an email not hosted on mail server it's fine, no error.  But this doesn't solve my problem.

Is there a place in config.php where I can alter/include a work around for having this issue?

Sorry to be persistent.

Regards, Greg

Do you enable SMTP authentication in Joomla?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Do you enable SMTP authentication in Joomla?

Yes SMTP is enabled.

Seems you didn't understand my point.

To send email, you must update Joomla setting to use smtp authentication. I don't mean the iRedMail server side.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Seems you didn't understand my point.

To send email, you must update Joomla setting to use smtp authentication. I don't mean the iRedMail server side.

Thanks again for replying.  I'm understanding how it works.  If the mail is setup correctly in both side it works as expected.  However if in Joomla the sender email address and the SMPT authentication email address are the same, there is an error.  This is correct as you have pointed out.

This works:   Use a dummy email address in Joomla sender address and correct email account address in Joomla SMTP.

But the problem is...
The receiver hit the reply in their client the email reply goes to the dummy email.

I'm asking...
Is there a workaround in iRedmail for this one email address because Joomla is not flexible.

What I would like to do...
Add script to iredmail.conf so the same address in Joomla for SMTP account and sender email address so when the user hits reply the email client will go to the valid email account.

Hopefully this explains my problem and you can see where I need a solution.
Cheers, Greg

In Joomla, you should choose 'SMTP server' for "Mailer" setting, not "PHP Mailer".