Topic: newbie, new vps and iredmail and got report "illegal users at ssh"

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): iredmail version is the newest, from yesterday (-bash: /etc/iredmail-release: Permission denied)
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: debian 8 jessie
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,
I have general questions, I am newbie, first time I installed email server.

after installation of redmail, I got already IP address from china and portugal trying to login to my ssh/vps. I will bann it with IP tables but how they know already for my server because I just got it before one or two days and I just installed debian and iredmail?
does authors of iredmail have some code inside that send them IP of new installed iredmail?
I just activated server and it is functional from last night about 11 p.m. and already trying to hack... strange.

here it is below, I got it in my email, is it really trying to hack my ssh or not?

--------------------- SSHD Begin ------------------------

SSHD Killed: 3 Time(s)

SSHD Started: 8 Time(s)

Failed logins from:
    43.229.53.83: 6 times
    109.51.129.209 (a109-51-129-209.cpe.netcabo.pt): 1 time

Illegal users from:
    undef: 6 times
    60.182.30.181 (181.30.182.60.broad.jh.zj.dynamic.163data.com.cn): 1 time
    109.51.129.209 (a109-51-129-209.cpe.netcabo.pt): 7 times

Users logging in through sshd:
    root:
       xxx.xxx.41.5 (www): 1 time

**Unmatched Entries**
error: Received disconnect from 109.51.129.209: 3: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: Auth fail [preauth] : 8 time(s)

---------------------- SSHD End -------------------------

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: newbie, new vps and iredmail and got report "illegal users at ssh"

It's quite normal that spammer are eagerly want to relay spam message through your server, or trying to hack your server.

They don't know this server is yours or it's a iRedMail server, they got this ip address as a random one.

Note: iRedMail is open source and there's no such backdoor.

Re: newbie, new vps and iredmail and got report "illegal users at ssh"

thank you very much for answer, I am new and I had to ask, it is logical what you said.