Topic: nginx? When I only am running Apache?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.0
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 14.04.2, 3.13.0-27-generic
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

This is a mystery to me. I am running a WordPress VPS on DigitalOcean. Everything  has been working well for several months. In May or so, I added iRedMail, and I've had very few issues after the initial setup, although I had to do some tweaks. It can be accessed via HTTP or HTTPS with a self-signed certificate.

I DO NOT run nginx! This detail is where the mystery comes in.

Thankfully, you can snapshot a VPS in DO, so I was able to rollback after doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Each time I do, doing a simple HTTP to the "www" of my website gets redirected to HTTPS, and then it forwards to the /mail address to bring up RoundCube. Trying different domains that point to the same IP brings up different result, but the one that stuck out the most was an nginx error!

I rolled back, and ran ps -ef | grep -i apache, and it spits out 8 processes. I ran ps -ef | grep -i nginx, and all I get is the grep command. Trying to do an apt-get remove nginx tells me that it is not installed.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Why would an upgrade be apparently installing nginx?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: nginx? When I only am running Apache?

Some users reported this issue before.

iRedMail-0.9.0 installs and configures both Apache and Nginx, no matter which one you chose as preferred web server during iRedMail installation. When you upgrade packages and nginx update is available, it will upgrade nginx too. So far so good. The problem is, during package upgrading, it will restart Nginx service, and it toke over web service. That's why it happened.

You can say it's an iRedMail issue because it installs both Apache and Nginx, or blame Debian/Ubuntu because it restarts service during package upgrading.

iRedMail-0.9.2 installs only the preferred web server, not both.

Re: nginx? When I only am running Apache?

"iRedMail-0.9.2 installs only the preferred web server, not both."

OK, I did not know both would be installed, or at least I do not recall that, nor did I previously think through the consequences. However, this might just be the push I need to move mail into its own VPS anyhow (something I've been considering strongly of late).

Thanks. I guess this should be closed then.