Topic: Why is Hotmail still tagging my email as spam?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): iRedmail 0.9.2
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi.
I'm having a problem with my emails which are sent to hotmail accounts. According to mail-tester.com I have 10/10 score so I don't know why Hotmail tags my emails as spam. Mail-tester only warns me due to the rDNS (PTR) points to different domain (vps.anotherdomain.pl) but I've solved this and now reverse lookup tools show the correct FQDN (Don't know why mail-tester still warns about this).

The headers of my emails are

Received: from mymachine.mydomain.com ([myIP]) by COL004-MC3F30.hotmail.com over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.23008);
     Wed, 8 Jul 2015 00:52:06 -0700
Received: from mymachine.mydomain.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
    by mymachine.mydomain.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 578DE82BF5
    for <someone@hotmail.com>; Wed,  8 Jul 2015 03:52:05 -0400 (EDT)
Authentication-Results: mymachine.mydomain.com (amavisd-new);
    dkim=pass (1024-bit key) reason="pass (just generated, assumed good)"
    header.d=mydomain.com

Btw, this line

shouldn't be like?

Received: from mymachine.mydomain.com (mymachine.mydomain.com [myIP])

Thanks in advance!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Why is Hotmail still tagging my email as spam?

The PTR should point to the FQDN in the MX Record, so if your MX Record says mailserv1.yourdomain.com then your PTR has to point to that for some mail checks to be happy, internal headers have to match this too. And just because a few testers give your mail the all-clear doesn't mean that someone as strict as Hotmail will let it through, your best bet is to contact them and ask them what's preventing mail delivery.

And that line is like that because your services are all on the same machine, and it uses the internal (lo) interface

7t3chguy wrote:

The PTR should point to the FQDN in the MX Record, so if your MX Record says mailserv1.yourdomain.com then your PTR has to point to that for some mail checks to be happy, internal headers have to match this too. And just because a few testers give your mail the all-clear doesn't mean that someone as strict as Hotmail will let it through, your best bet is to contact them and ask them what's preventing mail delivery.

And that line is like that because your services are all on the same machine, and it uses the internal (lo) interface

Thank you so much for your fast answer. I changed the PTR to the MX Record. Lastly, how can I contact with Hotmail to prevent this issue?

kemical wrote:

I'm not sure whether 'localhost.localdomain' matters for Hotmail. but you can change it by updating '$myhostname' and '$localhost_name' in /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user.

Also, please make sure command 'hostname -f' always return the correct FQDN (list FQDN as first domain name of 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts).

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
kemical wrote:

I'm not sure whether 'localhost.localdomain' matters for Hotmail. but you can change it by updating '$myhostname' and '$localhost_name' in /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user.

Also, please make sure command 'hostname -f' always return the correct FQDN (list FQDN as first domain name of 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts).

It seems that the problem is on my /etc/hosts. I don't know why when I put in my /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 myvps.mydomain.com localhost.localdomain localhost

And then when I reboot the server, automatically becomes to

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myvps.mydomain.com

Is it a Debian system "issue"?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Yes, I'm using Debian

kemical wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Yes, I'm using Debian

I think it's a cloud-init thing rather than Debian

7t3chguy wrote:
kemical wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Yes, I'm using Debian

I think it's a cloud-init thing rather than Debian

You mean that it's something related to my VPS provider right?

kemical wrote:

You mean that it's something related to my VPS provider right?

I guess so. Did you try to contact your VPS provider to figure it out?