Topic: VPS Costs for running your iredmail ?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:  0.9
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: centos 6
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
hi guys,
just wondering how is the costs of running your iredmail? do you host it on your own server or a vps?
it seems like i am having a hole burned in my wallet when using it with gandi.net maybe my specifications are too high .
please advise.
note: i have java enabled for full-text-search.

2 Core 4MB RAM  500GB HDD

Its coming up to US$60.00 to US$80.00 a month. Is this common or too high

Please share your experience.

Thanks
Kevin

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: VPS Costs for running your iredmail ?

4MB RAM?
And a $10/mo DigitalOcean droplet is enough for me, for you, maybe double that.

3 (edited by schnappi 2015-06-18 02:34:39)

Host own.

Biggest cost is static IP at $15/month from internet service provider.

Power has no cost since iRedMail is virtual machine running on a machine that is on all the time anyways.

Interesting,
Might try to tweak my settings a little and see how it responds.
Hosting own makes sense if one has access to reliable connections.

www.runabove.com is good too but they don't do dns yet.

6 (edited by myroundcube 2015-09-11 14:27:10)

Take a look at BuyVM. They are reliable and competitive. We have at least 9 servers with them.

The small 4 Cores @ 2.00+ GHz 2GB Memory 150 GB SSD Storage 10 TB @ 1000 Mbps is just $24.95/month and it is very capable. We have 13 domains (46 accounts) in total in one of those and it just goes. (2GB + 2GB swap file ssd).

They also have bigger plans (4GB 4 Cores and 8GB 8 Cores) but you really need to hunt down those plans with them because their stock flies off the shelf.

myroundcube wrote:

The small 4 Cores @ 2.00+ GHz 2GB Memory 150 GB SSD Storage 10 TB @ 1000 Mbps is just $24.95/month

This is cheaper than Linode. big_smile

8 (edited by myroundcube 2015-09-11 14:27:33)

Indeed Zhang. Linode is great too but more expensive when it comes to features per buck (no that they aren't worth it); they are a terrific provider as well.

I recommend BuyVM specifically to run iRedMail in a tighter budget. We use them because they provide free Anycast network (IPs included), Failover IP, 1000 Mbps Network In/Out, etc. and these little beats sit on SSDs. For example, our Load Splitter Service for Roundcube Webmail runs completely through BuyVM Anycast and we push a good amount of data through it daily for hundreds of users. Our iRedMail boxes with them just go and go... that's partially because iredMail is fantastic though tongue

See, their little 1024MB (2048 Burstable RAM) is also a 4 Core VPS... CPU cores are a must, and it's only $12.95/month sitting on SSDs. Take that and add a 10-user edition of iRedAdmin-Pro (without source code) for FREE.  It is a win/win no brainier solution for users embracing iRedMail on the budget; a smoking fast and cheap one I must add.

The extra savings is better used towards the iRedMail-Pro license. That's how we see it and how we recommend it to our supporters because we believe there is an immense value in both, BuyVM and iRedMail-Pro. Behind are the days when setting up a mail server could be a whole-weekend task! Else, there is always Gmail hmm.

Try digitalocean, their plans start from $5/month.

andrzej, I have already recomended DO smile

7t3chguy wrote:

andrzej, I have already recomended DO smile

My bad, didn't notice it ;-)