Topic: SMTP/POP3 not working without domain specification

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.4.1
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,
I'm trying to migrate to iRedMail easily without reconfiguring dosens of mail clients. The problem is that mail clients are setten up to login on POP3/SMTP with login ("username"). But sending/receiving with iRedMail server succeeds only if "username@domain.com" is specified as login for POP3/SMTP. Is it possible to tune up something on server side?

The only message I can see in mail client is "ERR authentication failed" after "POP3 server connected successfully" while receiving and "Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified domain name".

Server's log has (/var/mail.log):

May 19 17:16:09 mx postfix/smtpd[4380]: warning: hostname 1-2-3-4.provider.com does not resolve to address 1.2.3.4: Name or service not known
May 19 17:16:09 mx postfix/smtpd[4380]: connect from unknown[1.2.3.4]
May 19 17:16:11 mx postfix/smtpd[4380]: warning: unknown[1.2.3.4]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed:
May 19 17:16:17 mx postfix/smtpd[4380]: warning: unknown[1.2.3.4]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6
May 19 17:16:17 mx postfix/smtpd[4380]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[1.2.3.4]: 504 5.5.2 <ABC>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<username@domain.com> to=<user@testdomain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<ABC>
May 19 17:16:17 mx postfix/smtpd[4380]: disconnect from unknown[1.2.3.4]

If I specify username@domain.com instead of username all goes smooth.

Thanks in advance

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SMTP/POP3 not working without domain specification

How many domains are you wishing to support - this is easy to solve if you only have one domain you want to have username login available for (sort of a *default* domain if you will)

I agree with @7t3chguy. This is a one-time fixing. With proper settings, it's easy for you to maintain the server.

I suggest you ask your clients to update their MUA settings, of course you can do it in multiple phases. for example, ask all users in this domain to update MUA setting today, and that domain tomorrow (or next week).

Anyway, here's solution you can use, but it only work for one mail domain:

Set the domain name in Dovecot config file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf, parameter 'auth_default_realm'. e.g.

auth_default_realm = my_domain.com

With this setting, if user's logging in with username 'my_name', Dovecot will append '@my_domain.com' to this username automatically, which is 'my_name@my_domain.com'.

Hi folks,

I've just checked and this parameter seems to be exactly I was looking for. Yes, I have only one domain. Great support!

Thanks a lot. Please close this one.