Topic: Problem with dovecot

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: dovecot.log
====

There is a problem with one account.  Whenever mail is sent to this account, it is returned as undeliverable with this error:

Command died with signal 7: "/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver"

I checked the dovecot log, but everything looks fine.  All of the other accounts are working fine.  And this account was working fine until a few days ago.  Any idea what happened/how to solve this?  Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Problem with dovecot

Switch on dovecot debug logging, restart dovecot and recreate the issue

I switched on debug logging and restarted dovecot, then I re-created the problem and checked dovecot.log.  I could see the new debug lines... but there were no obvious errors, everything seemed to be working fine.  HOWEVER, I also took a look at some of the other log files, and noticed this in sieve.log:

Debug: sieve: user's script path //var/vmail/vmail1/server.com/u/s/e/user123-XXXX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX//sieve/dovecot.sieve doesn't exist (using global script path in stead)
Debug: sieve: script file /var/vmail/sieve/dovecot.sieve not found
Debug: sieve: script file /var/vmail/sieve/dovecot.sieve is missing

user123 is the user who currently cannot receive email.  I checked his folder on the server, and indeed it doesn't contain a sieve sub-folder.  I have no idea why it isn't there... possibly some file writing process was corrupted or failed?  At any rate, what would be the best way to fix this?

No clue at all.

here's a possible solution:

*) Copy the maildir path of this user first.
*) Delete this mail user. Note: iRedAdmin doesn't delete its mailbox.
*) Re-create this mail user, with same maildir path. this way no email will be lost.

if this doesn't work, there must be something wrong in other part.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

No clue at all.

here's a possible solution:

*) Copy the maildir path of this user first.
*) Delete this mail user. Note: iRedAdmin doesn't delete its mailbox.
*) Re-create this mail user, with same maildir path. this way no email will be lost.

if this doesn't work, there must be something wrong in other part.

Thanks, I think I found a solution.  When I was backing up the maildir folder, the dovecot.index.* files wouldn't copy due to a file read I/O error.  I decided to delete them because they are automatically generated.  As soon as I deleted them, the user logged in and was able to receive mail normally again.  I didn't even need to delete the user in iRedAdmin.

So it looks like the dovecot.index files became corrupted somehow, and this caused the dovecot error which prevented mail being delivered to this account.