1 (edited by Dominique 2015-03-10 04:02:23)

Topic: Do I need more memory for my server?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

When checking my server's memory using using free -m I'm getting this result:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:             1024       1024          0             0             0             0
-/+ buffers/cache:       1024          0
Swap:                  0            0          0

Does this mean the 1Gb is not enough for iRedMail?  I have only 39 domains on it with 106 mailboxes.

The programs apparently eating my memory are:

clamd: 23%
mysqld: 10%
amavisd: 10% x 3, so 30% in total

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Do I need more memory for my server?

Only??? That's a very heavy use, iRedMail says Minimum 1GB for a SMALL Server. I'd recommend doubling that at least

I just upgrade the server to 2Gb and I now have 790Mb available.  Thanks for the quick response wink

Linux works much better when it has spare ram so it can cache, so even though you have 790mb left, your OS will use as much of it as it can as cache, which will get emptied if you need the ram for other things

I suggest you do a quick research with Google to understand how Linux uses memory and how to understand the numbers shown in commands like 'top', 'free'.