Topic: Setting From: field other than hostname

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: iRedMail-0.9.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,

I know this is not related to iRedMail but still considering the awesome support from the iRedMail team, I believe as always the problems would be solved.

I'm using Interspire Email Marketer (IEM). In IEM, there is an option to send the mails using any domain that you wish. But the problem here is that If you use a domain other than the one hosted on the VPS server, there will be the mismatch with hostname, rDNS will be different and SPF & DKIM will fail. Henceforth, mail will go into SPAM folder.

I've seen the mails coming from MailChimp have something called "Signed-by" and "Mailed-by" and when you send the mails using any domain, It displays yourdomain.com as From: address and MailChimp's hostname under "Mailed-by" and "Signed-by."

Now this is how the recipient's email service provider send it to the inbox instead of SPAM folder.

But when I use any domain, say gmail.com, to send the mail, the recipent's email provider consider it as as SPAM. Now the question is, how do I make my mail sent from any domain display Mailed-by and Signed-by for my SMTP server hostname.

This way I guess, mails sent from any domain using IEM will go to INBOX only and not SPAM folder.

I know there's a workaround, not sure what. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks for the awesome iRedMail and fabulous support so far.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Setting From: field other than hostname

kunal393 wrote:

I've seen the mails coming from MailChimp have something called "Signed-by" and "Mailed-by" and when you send the mails using any domain, It displays yourdomain.com as From: address and MailChimp's hostname under "Mailed-by" and "Signed-by."
Now this is how the recipient's email service provider send it to the inbox instead of SPAM folder.

Are you sure it's affected by 'Mailed-By' and/or 'Signed-By'?

kunal393 wrote:

But when I use any domain, say gmail.com, to send the mail, the recipent's email provider consider it as as SPAM. Now the question is, how do I make my mail sent from any domain display Mailed-by and Signed-by for my SMTP server hostname.

You need a header check rule in Postfix, to always insert 'Signed-By' or whatever header you want. Reference:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks

Re: Setting From: field other than hostname

Hey thanks for the reply. Let me check the corresponding resource on postfix.