Topic: ActiveSync not working

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian WHeezy
iRedmail with SOGo on LDAP without Roundcube.
====

Logs - Lots of this specifically.

X.X.X.X (IP address here) - user@domain.com [05/Jan/2015:23:43:04 -0500] "POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?jRIJBBBOaW5lQzk1Q0FCQ0MxNENBBAAAAAAHQW5kcm9pZAcBAA== HTTP/1.1" 200 19 "-" "P892T57/KVT49L"
X.X.X.X (IPaddress here) - - [05/Jan/2015:23:43:05 -0500] "-" 400 0 "-" "-"

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2013 and Nine for Android.  Neither are receiving email without a manual send/receive.  Once that is done, email shows up, otherwise, I can wait for hours ( I actually waited for 3 hours for it to show up) and nothing shows.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: ActiveSync not working

Outlook dont work out of the box....

You need some more steps to get it to work, but its not part of iredmail, so ZH doesnt include the steps!

Thanks for the info.  Any sources for what is needed?  What about Mobile?  Has that been tested and working, or do I need further setup for that as well?  It seems that if one will work, the other should as well.  Both use RPC over HTTPS.

It's mentioned in iRedMail-0.9.0 release notes:

Full/native Exchange protocol support requires OpenChange and Samba4, but they're not integrated in iRedMail, so iRedMail-0.9.0 doesn't provide full/native support for Microsoft Outlook clients, Apple Mail.app and iOS devices. BlackBerry 10 works fine.

Looking at the logs wasn't much help, but when I login via a browser session using the URL like so:

https://mail.server.dom/SOGo/Microsoft- … server.dom I am prompted for my username and password.  Once those are provided, I am redirected (to an obvious error page) to http://127.0.0.1:20000/SOGo/so/user@server.dom/Mail

Looks like maybe the setup script has an error in it where it is setting up the proxy pass wrong.  I guess it is worth mentioning that I am using Nginx, not Apache2.

Hello every one,

I install the latest   iRedMail-0.9.0 in centos 7, after finishing installation I can login to iredadmin and roundcube, but I cannot login to awstats and cluebringer with the same user and password. What happen?

If who know the problem please help me would be appreciate

Also, I am not looking for full native Outlook support, only ActiveSync support.  There is a major difference.  As I said, ActiveSync uses RPC over HTTP (or HTTPS if you want it secure).  Outlook 2013 has a full implementation of ActiveSync, so all you need to do is add the account as the correct type and it isn't using MAPI, but RCP over HTTPS.

chaxyooj wrote:

Hello every one,

I install the latest   iRedMail-0.9.0 in centos 7, after finishing installation I can login to iredadmin and roundcube, but I cannot login to awstats and cluebringer with the same user and password. What happen?

If who know the problem please help me would be appreciate

How about you start your own thread and quit hijacking this one?  That is pretty rude.

I'm not quite sure what will happen if you try to login to this url directly, I suggest you ask in SOGo mailing list instead.

But one thing is sure, native outlook support requires OpenChange + Samba4.

I guess that ActiveSync is not one of the reasons you added support for SOGo then?  I understand if I want MAPI support, I need all that other junk, but I don't want MAPI.  I will see if I can figure it out and post my results back so that if anyone else is looking to use ActiveSync.

Just for the record, I am following this tutorial, which is exactly what iRedmail is using for their SOGo config.  I mean, it is as if they copy/pasted this into the setup script.

http://www.iredmail.org/docs/sogo-cento … nc-support

Omg, this document is incomplete, my fault, I shouldn't publish this incomplete document.

I suggest you try activesync with a virtual machine running iRedMail-0.9.0.

And you're right, calendar/contact services are the reason why we integrate SOGO. OpenChange looks like not understand active development, we have concern. And Samba4 is a big component too, we have to be careful to integrate it.

I finally found time to work with this again.  I ended up going back to RoundCube, calendar functions would be nice, but push email is nicer!  smile

I setup iRedmail using MySQL and Nginx, wrapped up the whole setup, added a couple of users and tested to make sure all was working good.

Once that was done, I installed Apache2 (I am on Debian Wheezy), then setup a second IP address and bound Apache2 to that IP address.  I then setup mod_rewrite to rewrite all HTTP to HTTPS.

Once that was tested good, I installed D-Push from the Debian repos.  apt-get install d-push, let it work it's magic and then set the needed configuration in the BackendIMAP and config.php.

Once that was done, I restarted Apache2 with service apache2 reload and setup a test account that I created when I setup iRedmail.  All works like a charm.

I currently have about 125 users using it on a daily basis, has been running for about a week and a half now and no problems at all.  It does use some resources, but not a lot.  I am running iRedmail on 8 core 16GB RAM system.  Once I get it loaded up with around 1500-2000 users, I will try to update and let everyone know how it is runnning.

If anyone would like more indepth instructions or need any assistance, feel free to reply to this thread and I will chime in as soon as I can.

In my opinion, this adds functionality to iRedmail that makes it out perform systems like Kolab or Zimbra.  Now all I need is parity in functionality from the calendar perspective and I will start replacing all of my email servers running those other two with iRedmail.

Thank you for such a great project, I really appreciate it and hope you keep it going!

It is not true that the Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) in iRedMail does not provide push mail. The MDA in iRedMail is dovecot which support the IMAP IDLE protocol [CAPABILITY IDLE] (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177) so any Mail User Agent (MUA) which supports IMAP IDLE will give you support for push mail. MUA's which supports this is:
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- KMail
- Evolution
- Geary
- IOS and OSX MUA
- Android built-in MUA and K9Mail etc.

Only reason to implement Microsoft Active Sync is if your users are stock with any Microsoft MUA like Outlook etc.

telnet mail.datanom.net 143
Trying 172.16.1.8...
Connected to mail.datanom.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot ready.

Right.  They are not the same, but provide similar functionality.  Z-push or D-push provide for RPC over HTTPS (or HTTP), which is much easier to configure from an end user perspective, with only needing to provide a single url in nearly any modern email client, not just Outlook.  It also provides for auto discover, which reduces support calls by a metric ton!

So, yes, you can use IMAP IDLE, but you can also use ActiveSync and reduce configuration headaches...which is what I was shooting for.

16 (edited by buzzzo 2015-01-30 21:48:36)

scott wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Any sources for what is needed?  What about Mobile?  Has that been tested and working, or do I need further setup for that as well?  It seems that if one will work, the other should as well.  Both use RPC over HTTPS.

You need to configure  apache reverse proxy to talk with the sogo process for active sync plus a bunch of specific activesync options in sogo.conf.

Here the offical guide http://www.sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGo%20In … 0Guide.pdf

Just a suggestion: if you absolutely need activesync support use the nightly builds of SOGo.
Activesync is a continue work in progress and every time a bug is discovered it will be available in the nightly version of SOGo, otherwise you need to wait for the next stable version that could be rolled out also after days (or weeks).

And another suggestion: due to the new nature of the feature be sure to deeply test it.In my tests it seems to become stable in these days , both on outlook 2013 side and on android/ios side.

If you want something that's works out of a box just use caldav/cardav.