Topic: Cannot send mail due to "known" amavisd issue

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.90
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: N/A (see below as to why)
================================

Rather than post a log of what's been reported before several times

here: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic8013 … start.html (2014-09-26)
and also
here: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic5544 … rting.html (2013-10-15)

Amavisd new won't compile - or obviously - start. This means, probably among other things,  that a desktop client can't send mail.

and these (in this instance) are the missing modules:

MIME::Head
MIME::Entity
MIME::Parser

The installed version of amavisd new is: 2.9.1-2.el6 from the @epel-6-x86_64 repo.

The recommended workaround described in the first of the two posts above, namely to comment this out in /etc/postfix/main.cf;

content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024] 

then reload postfix does NOT work
----------------------------

A suggested solution (in #2 above I believe) is to remove perl-MIME-tools (version 5.427-4.el6 BTW) - which doesn't seem like a terribly good idea because:

removing:
perl-MIME-tools                                                               
also removes:
amavisd-new                                 
perl-Convert-TNEF

A further suggestion, from documentation, namely to completely disable virus and spam scanners as described here:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/completely … assin.html
isn't really a viable idea, because it seems to kinda miss the whole point of having 'em to start with.

It was also suggested in one of those quoted posts to report the issue to the epel repo folks. That is all well and fine, but glaciers move faster than repo (and package) maintainers. It does not provide a here-and-now solution.

SO, my question is this: what is the real workaround? This must be solved, it's as simple as that.

Suggestions, flames, grumbles, howto's OR (even) a workaround will all be gratefully received. In a word; "HELP"! :-)

Regards,

CJ

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Cannot send mail due to "known" amavisd issue

Amavisd-new-2.9.1 works for me here:

# rpm -qi amavisd-new
Name        : amavisd-new                  Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.9.1                             Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 2.el6                         Build Date: Mon 04 Aug 2014 05:19:42 AM HKT
Install Date: Fri 16 Jan 2015 05:01:39 PM HKT      Build Host: buildvm-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM: amavisd-new-2.9.1-2.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 3106647                          License: GPLv2+ and BSD and GFDL
Signature   : RSA/8, Thu 07 Aug 2014 08:12:30 AM HKT, Key ID 3b49df2a0608b895
Packager    : Fedora Project

Could you please paste related error log?

3 (edited by cjraven 2015-01-16 13:12:19)

I would post logs, if iRedMail was still installed.

Adding to the earlier issue, I subsequently found that your GUI wasn't adding virtual users. It would report "unknown user" for any added beyond "Postmaster" which, I'm sure you would agree, isn't exactly an optimal situation. Surely iRedMail should add users to the virtual users map without doing that from the command line? Why bother with a GUI otherwise?

Roundcube was borked too, because Postfix wouldn't relay for its own domains!. Yes this too is fixable from the command line, but as said above, what's the point of installing a graphical interface if it's constantly necessary to get onto the CLI, dig around and fix stuff?

AWStats was inaccessible...not that it was needed right then of course, but it too needed work to make it available on a "click 'n look" basis.

So, after some thought about the time and effort needed to fix the various issues, I wiped the VE. There has to be a better way, but this (iRedMail) sadly isn't it. FAR too much was broken to make this a worthwhile proposition.

Furthermore the functionality of the [community edition] control panel is no different than postfixadmin. Sadly, while the statement that the Pro CP has more functionality is true, the difference is slight.

This was intended as a testing installation before possibly buying an iRedMail Pro license. My assumption was that stuff would work "out of the box". As you can see, it didn't, which is most unfortunate. I had high hopes for this package - it's a good effort, but falls short of expectations.

CJ
[Post submission editing for typos]

The point is, we cannot understand what your (iRedMail) issue is without related log. According to your second post, looks like your iRedMail installation was not success, because with a success installation, webmail should be accessible without additional change.

iRedMail installation is easy, but I cannot grantee no error will occur. What I can do is, if you report a problem, I will give you a explanation or solution.