1 (edited by king_himself88 2014-12-15 01:14:26)

Topic: Issue with domain vs hostname

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: iRedMail-0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MYSQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Utuntu 12.4
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I blindly followed the installation guideline from DigitalOcean on installing iRedMail on Ubuntu:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … -12-04-x64

In this tutorial, it made the hostname the same as the domain name, so I did the same and made the hostname, mydomain.com. However, when I got to the step of specifying your first virtual domain name, which should be mydomain.com, it doesn't allow me to use this domain name. To move forward in the installation, I ended up using another domain name, otherdomain.com. Now, I had to set up SSL and access the account via this otherdomail.com, which is not what I want. i wanted to use mydomain.com.

Questions:
* Why the domain name cannot be the same as the hostname?
* How do I recover and change the domain name back to what I wanted, from otherdomain.com to mydomain.com?

Thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Issue with domain vs hostname

Hope my question is not too newbie for this forum...

Not worth picking through files on a new install, just reimage and start again. Your hostname should typically be mail.yourdomain.com with yourdomain.com being your first virtual domain. Then, ensure you have mail.yourdomain.com as your MX record for domain.com, and mail.yourdomain.com an A or CNAME to the iRedMail server.

"mail." is arbitrary and could of course be anything. I name my server creatively and use "mail." only as a tidy access point.

I'm not sure of the technical reason your hostname can't be a virtual domain, but it would mean your main website would have to also be on the iRedMail server.

Postfix is MTA, if you want to send email to local SYSTEM ACCOUNTS, Postfix will use email address '[ACCOUNT_NAME]@[SERVER_HOSTNAME]'. if your server hostname is same as virtual mail domain, Postfix will try to verify system account in SQL/LDAP database which is wrong. That's why mail domain name cannot be the same as server hostname.

It should be not hard to pick up a server hostname. e.g. mail.xxx, mx.xxx, ...

5 (edited by king_himself88 2014-12-15 21:38:54)

Thank you guys! I will give it another try.