Topic: Do I need to setup a DNS record for SPF

I came across iRedmail after browsing the internet. There may be a couple of dumb questions so I do apologize in advance. I am in the process of setting up another mail server to replace my existing one. I will be be hosting 5 or 6 mail domains plus my own. I have read the directions and everything seems pretty straight forward. My questions are this. I will need to bring over the users mail boxes and there mail form the old server to the new one. Right now I use maildir in Dovecot and use MYSQL to authenticate the users. Will it be easy to transfer the users mail over to this computer? Also Do I need to setup a DNS record for SPF ? I f I do where do I place this record? I use Godaddy as my DNS Servers. Also do I need to Setup DNS record for DKIM? If I do where would I place this record?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards

Darrell

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Do I need to setup a DNS record for SPF

Right now I use maildir in Dovecot and use MYSQL to authenticate the users. Will it be easy to transfer the users mail over to this computer?

It should be easy, but you should give us more details. Such as mailbox format (Maildir/ or mbox), encryption used to store password in SQL.

Also Do I need to setup a DNS record for SPF ? I f I do where do I place this record? I use Godaddy as my DNS Servers. Also do I need to Setup DNS record for DKIM? If I do where would I place this record?

SPF is recommended, no matter you use iRedMail or whatever mail solution.
DKIM is required only when you enable signing DKIM in your outgoing emails.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Right now I use maildir in Dovecot and use MYSQL to authenticate the users. Will it be easy to transfer the users mail over to this computer?

It should be easy, but you should give us more details. Such as mailbox format (Maildir/ or mbox), encryption used to store password in SQL.

Also Do I need to setup a DNS record for SPF ? I f I do where do I place this record? I use Godaddy as my DNS Servers. Also do I need to Setup DNS record for DKIM? If I do where would I place this record?

SPF is recommended, no matter you use iRedMail or whatever mail solution.
DKIM is required only when you enable signing DKIM in your outgoing emails.

The Mailbox format is Maildir and the encryption used is MD5 (I believe)

Thanks for the quick response

dbetts22 wrote:

The Mailbox format is Maildir and the encryption used is MD5 (I believe)

Both can be migrated.
Just copy mailboxes to new server, be careful, must copy to correct directory.
MD5 passwords can be exported to new server directly.