Topic: iRed Mail as a SMTP Relay for Microsoft Exchange 2010 (SBS2011)

Hello iRedMail Pro Support,

I am planning to use iRedMail Pro as an SMTP relay for Microsoft Exchange 2010 (SBS2011) to protect my Exchange Server against external threads. Therefore the Linux box on Ubuntu will forward all email traffic inbound and outbound via two network cards.

I've already installed a test server but since your license terms are pretty strict I won't be able to change versions later therefore my question is what you suggest is in regards to the correct version to choose.

Choosing the LDAP version seems to be the right choice but would I be able to configure SMTP relaying for each user or domain inbound and outbound with that version if I configure LDAP access towards the domain controller.

Users don't need to access any mailbox on that server, it will just forward all traffic on a private IP address to the Exchange Server in and out. Is this something you've already implemented "by tickbox" or would I need to configure that myself on postfix anyways?

Thanks for your help

Peter

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRed Mail as a SMTP Relay for Microsoft Exchange 2010 (SBS2011)

IMPORTANT NOTE: We have only one edition of iRedMail, it's free and open source. All mail services related features are implemented in iRedMail. When we talk about "Pro", we're talking about iRedAdmin-Pro (web admin panel for iRedMail). You can add unlimited accounts with either iRedAdmin-Pro or other tools like SQL/LDAP command line tools or web applications like phpLDAPadmin/phpMyAdmin/phpPgAdmin.

fahrenheit47 wrote:

what you suggest is in regards to the correct version to choose.

There's no big difference between supported backends, so please just choose the one you're familiar with.

fahrenheit47 wrote:

Choosing the LDAP version seems to be the right choice but would I be able to configure SMTP relaying for each user or domain inbound and outbound with that version if I configure LDAP access towards the domain controller.

Yes, you can manage per-domain and per-user relay with LDAP backend.

fahrenheit47 wrote:

Users don't need to access any mailbox on that server, it will just forward all traffic on a private IP address to the Exchange Server in and out. Is this something you've already implemented "by tickbox" or would I need to configure that myself on postfix anyways?

With per-domain or per-user relay, all received emails will be relayed/forwarded to your Exchange server.
Do your users use this iRedMail server or Exchange server to send email? If it's Exchange server, there's no addition setting required.

Add per-domain or per-user relay is easy with SQL command line tools or phpLDAPadmin (for LDAP backend), so i suggest you try to implement this smtp relay with iRedMail first, no need to purchase iRedAdmin-Pro license if you can easily handle this.