Topic: Migrating mail

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian Wheezy
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
I am trying to migrate mail from a mac os x 10.6.8 (snow leopard) server to my new iredmail server. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how to do this. I have read up on imapsync but it does not appear to keep the flag info for read and unread messages. I would like to transfer the mail preserving the read and unread flags on messages. Any ideas or help on this would be great.

Re: Migrating mail

I have no experience of Mac OS X mail server, but imapsync does sync read/unread status. Please check the arguments/options you used for imapsync. Here's what i used during migrating mailboxes for a customer:

imapsync \                                                                 
        --useheader 'Message-Id' --useheader 'Message-ID' --useheader 'Received' \
        --subscribe \                                                           
        --authmech1 login --authmech2 login \                                   
        --host1 [server1] --user1 "[username1]" --password1 "[password1]" \
        --host2 [server2] --user2 "[username2]" --password2 "[password2]" --tls2

Depends on your server, you may not need the same options.

Ok I imapsync works very well at transfering mail and preserving the read and unread markers so long that your end user has their account setup as imap in their mail client. I have many users that prefer to use pop3 when setting up their mail clients however when I migrate mail over using imapsync everything is marked as unread in a client set to use pop3. Any way to migrate mail over so that the read and unread markers are preserved both imap and pop3?

No idea. According to imapsync FAQ page:

Q. Is it possible to sync also the UIDL of the POP3 server?

R. imapsync does not POP3 but I think you mean UID in IMAP.
   See next question.

Q. Is it possible to sync also the UIDs of the IMAP server?

UIDs in IMAP are chosen and created by the servers, not by the clients,
imapsync is a client. So UIDs can not be synced by any method,
unless the server is duplicated as is.