1 (edited by cvcvelo 2014-06-16 12:25:48)

Topic: Setup questions

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 7 (FreeBSD 10 failed)
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Greetings. I'm thinking of buying iRedMail Pro but had a few questions before proceeding:

1. Installation of iRedMail-0.8.7 on FreeBSD 10 fails because the install script looks for gcc, which is no longer part of the base system. It is possible to install gcc but (a) I'm not sure which version to use and (b) doing so requires relinking a bunch of libraries, and I'm concerned these would break during an upgrade. (same issue with using bash-static instead of regular bash)

Is there work under way on a iRedMail installer that uses the clang/LLVM, which are now FreeBSD's default compilers, when the script recognizes it's running on FreeBSD 10 or later?

2. On Debian 7, this command:

sh create_mail_user_SQL.sh postmaster@example.org user1@example.org user2@example.org user3@example.org

returns these errors:

create_mail_user_SQL.sh: 75: [: XNO: unexpected operator
create_mail_user_SQL.sh: 98: [: Xhashed: unexpected operator
create_mail_user_SQL.sh: 121: [: XMaildir: unexpected operator

The output file runs in MySQL, but no users are added. How to resolve?

3. Will anything break in iRedMail if the hostname changes? Initially this is running on something like mail32.example.org, but after imapsync'ing messages off an existing server, the hostname needs to move to mail.example.org when put in production.

4. Will anything break in iRedMail if I use certs signed by a root CA? The self-signed certs that come with iRedMail are OK for testing, but we don't want browser warnings when we go into production.

5. Finally, will anything break in iRedMail if I do normal system maintenance (e.g., apt-get update/dist-upgrade) and/or install other packages such as Mailman?

Many thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Setup questions

cvcvelo wrote:

1. Installation of iRedMail-0.8.7 on FreeBSD 10 fails because the install script looks for gcc, which is no longer part of the base system. It is possible to install gcc but (a) I'm not sure which version to use and (b) doing so requires relinking a bunch of libraries, and I'm concerned these would break during an upgrade. (same issue with using bash-static instead of regular bash)

*) iRedMail simply executes 'make install clean' to install ports, it doesn't specify gcc. Could you please show us the original error message?
*) bash-static works fine for me, what issue did you get?

cvcvelo wrote:

2. On Debian 7, this command:

sh create_mail_user_SQL.sh postmaster@example.org user1@example.org user2@example.org user3@example.org

Why you don't use 'bash' instead of 'sh'?

cvcvelo wrote:

3. Will anything break in iRedMail if the hostname changes? Initially this is running on something like mail32.example.org, but after imapsync'ing messages off an existing server, the hostname needs to move to mail.example.org when put in production.

Just update hostname in Postfix parameter "myhostname" and Amavisd "@local_domains_maps".

cvcvelo wrote:

4. Will anything break in iRedMail if I use certs signed by a root CA? The self-signed certs that come with iRedMail are OK for testing, but we don't want browser warnings when we go into production.

Of course you can use purchased SSL certificate, it's recommended.

cvcvelo wrote:

5. Finally, will anything break in iRedMail if I do normal system maintenance (e.g., apt-get update/dist-upgrade) and/or install other packages such as Mailman?

It's ok to update packages with 'apt-get update'.
But you should be careful, if newer package doesn't have backward compatibility, you should pay some attention to update its config file manually after updated binary package. for example, Dovecot-2.x doesn't support config files of Dovecot-1.x.

Thanks for your speedy and helpful responses! Some followup questions:

cvcvelo wrote:

*) iRedMail simply executes 'make install clean' to install ports, it doesn't specify gcc. Could you please show us the original error message?

iRedMail failed this way the first two attempts on FreeBSD 10, and succeeded on the third try. As far as I know the procedure was the same all three times. The FreeBSD installation uses ports instead of packages, so it takes a while to run, but it does succeed.

*) bash-static works fine for me, what issue did you get?

No problem with this. My concern is with future upgrades of statically linked packages.

On Debian 7, this command:

Why you don't use 'bash' instead of 'sh'?

That works, thanks. I just followed the comments in the file, which use 'sh'.

However, there's a problem. Although the import worked (there are new entries in the vmail.mailbox table), these entries do not appear in the GUI. Logging out and even a reboot did not resolve the problem. The GUI still shows just one user account.

The command syntax was:

bash create_mail_user_SQL.sh postmaster@example.org user1@example.org user2@example.org user3@example.org

Thanks for your help.

cvcvelo wrote:

That works, thanks. I just followed the comments in the file, which use 'sh'.

Oops, my mistake, fixed moment ago.
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/comm … 748d802f2a

cvcvelo wrote:

However, there's a problem. Although the import worked (there are new entries in the vmail.mailbox table), these entries do not appear in the GUI. Logging out and even a reboot did not resolve the problem. The GUI still shows just one user account.

Excuse me, what entries? GUI, do you mean iRedAdmin?