Topic: Difference free and paid admin

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CENTOS 6.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: na
====

For years I am using CentOS and installed all by hand (Postfix, MailScanner, ClamAV, Dovecot). It works fine, but I wanted something easier to manage users, because I don't like I have limux users accounts now for email addresses. So a friend of mine, talked about iredmail. I played with it for some days now in VMWare and so far it works great. But I also see the limitations. As far as I understand, the limitations are only things that can be configured in de WebAdmin GUI.

But what are exactly the limitations there and how can this be done in an other way. Tried the aliases in the phpldap interface.
Took me some time, but got it working.

If I had the money I really would buy the admin interface, but as I am using a (mini) mailserver for 4 domains and only about 12 family email addresses, it's too expensive.

Great job making iRedmail!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Difference free and paid admin

JeeGee wrote:

As far as I understand, the limitations are only things that can be configured in de WebAdmin GUI.

1: We have only one edition of iRedMail, it's free and open source.
2: All mail services related features are implemented with iRedMail.
3: iRedAdmin-Pro is an addition web-based admin panel to help you manage mail accounts and related stuffs.
4: Without iRedAdmin-Pro, you can also achieve the same management goals with other SQL/LDAP tools (phpMyAdmin, MySQL command line tools, etc), no limitation at all.

So, you see, iRedAdmin-Pro is totally an optional component, but you will eventually find it makes your life easier.

Thanks, I understand that fully now.

Are there some How To's how to configure stuff with the phpldapadmin? Like for alias and domain alias for example?
I tried already for an alias, I got email, but not 100% sure I did the right thing.

Thanks.

Search our wiki: http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/
If you cannot find one, please ask in forum, i will add it.

Great. Overlooked the wiki. Seems there is no wiki for adding an alias for an email address.
Could you add that please?

Here it is:

- [LDAP] How to forward email to other addresses:
  http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … ng.Address

- [LDAP] How to add alias domain:
  http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … ias.Domain

Great thank you very much.

Uhmm just one request. Because it took me some time again to figure out the needed fields, could you add a to the wiki how to add an alias for a email address. For example: an alias for info@example.com that goes to the user joe@example.com.

I have a question about that too. If you have several domains, does it matter where (under the domain) in LDAP you add this?
Example: Alias "question@xyx.com" should go to user "joe@example.com". Should the alias be added under domain xyz.com or example.com?

Thanks again. Really appreciate your help.

JeeGee wrote:

For example: an alias for info@example.com that goes to the user joe@example.com.

LDAP attribute "shadowAddress".

JeeGee wrote:

I have a question about that too. If you have several domains, does it matter where (under the domain) in LDAP you add this?
Example: Alias "question@xyx.com" should go to user "joe@example.com". Should the alias be added under domain xyz.com or example.com?

example.com

9 (edited by JeeGee 2014-04-30 21:33:51)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
JeeGee wrote:

For example: an alias for info@example.com that goes to the user joe@example.com.

LDAP attribute "shadowAddress".

JeeGee wrote:

example.com

Really? Just 1 extra field to fill in to add an alias? How simple things can be. Thanks going to try that.

FYI How I did it before: looked at my friends installation. We made a ldif export of a mailalias and looked at the fields. And with that I tried to "copy" that by adding an entry by hand. But you suggestions is much more easier.

Edit: Wow it works that easy! Thanks.

JeeGee wrote:

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CENTOS 6.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: na
====

For years I am using CentOS and installed all by hand (Postfix, MailScanner, ClamAV, Dovecot). It works fine, but I wanted something easier to manage users, because I don't like I have limux users accounts now for email addresses. So a friend of mine, talked about iredmail. I played with it for some days now in VMWare and so far it works great. But I also see the limitations. As far as I understand, the limitations are only things that can be configured in de WebAdmin GUI.

But what are exactly the limitations there and how can this be done in an other way. Tried the aliases in the phpldap interface.
Took me some time, but got it working.

If I had the money I really would buy the admin interface, but as I am using a (mini) mailserver for 4 domains and only about 12 family email addresses, it's too expensive.

Great job making iRedmail!

Hi JeeGee.

I think the iRedMail installer is fantastic but I agree. The pro admin panel is way too expensive. This is why I am writing my own and I will be publishing it on GitHub when I am done.

John