1 (edited by DistortedDorian 2014-02-26 04:48:03)

Topic: I can't install iRedMail on Debian 7.4 Wheezy (been trying for 8 hours

Hey there, so I was recommended to use Roundcube with IRedMail so I used that on my previous OS (Ubuntu server 13.10) for a few weeks and now I switched my operating system to Debian 7.4 Wheezy because the majority on Spigot forums said that Debian is better.

So I'm trying to install iRedMail on my Debian 7.4 but it's not working somehow.
I started with installing MySQL, Apache2 and phpmyadmin. When the installation was done I downloaded iRedMail-0.8.6.tar.bz2 and uploaded it to /root/ and then I typed

tar xjf iRedMail-0.8.6.tar.bz2
cd /root/iRedMail-0.8.6/
bash iRedMail.sh

I answered all of the questions successfully and restarted my dedicated server.

Now when everything is done I tried to access my server with this: mydomain.com/mail and it said:

Not Found

The requested URL /mail/ was not found on this server.

It's same problem with /iredadmin, I tried with my server domain, ip and https://. It's not working.
I think I have to configure the apache2 because the installation didn't configure the /etc/apache2/sites-available/default and /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl but I have no clue what to put in there.

I tried also to install iRedMail in 6 different ways and between every attempt I reinstalled my OS to have a new fresh system but it's not working.
Every reply is highly appreciated! Thank you.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: I can't install iRedMail on Debian 7.4 Wheezy (been trying for 8 hours

It's clearly mentioned that iRedMail requires a new/fresh server OS, so it's recommended to install iRedMail first, then setup your own applications after iRedMail installation.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

It's clearly mentioned that iRedMail requires a new/fresh server OS, so it's recommended to install iRedMail first, then setup your own applications after iRedMail installation.

I tried that 1 hour after I posted my thread. I re-installed my OS and got all default files.
I downloaded iRedMail and started the installation, everything went successfully but iRedMail didn't configure the apache2 and therefore it says "Error 404 not found" when I connect to iRedAdmin/Roundcube/phpmyadmin.
Which rules do I need to apply to apache2 and do I need to modify something else?
Thank you.

Apache should be configured during iRedMail installation. Any error log/message during iRedMail installation?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Apache should be configured during iRedMail installation. Any error log/message during iRedMail installation?

The only errors/warnings that appears are:

[FAIL] Clamav signatures not found in /var/lib/clamav ... failed!
[FAIL] Please retrieve them using freshclam ... failed!
[FAIL] Then run '/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon start' ... failed!
Can't open /etc/apache2/conf-available/security.conf: No suck file or directory.
Can't open /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.conf: No suck file or directory.

I can confirm that all these 3 fails appears with Ubuntu Server 13.10 and "Can't open .." doesn't.
The reason to why "Can't open" appears is that in Debian 7.4's apache2 the directory for security.conf is '/etc/apache2/conf.d/security' and for the ssl: '/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl'

I have recorded the full installation process with .gif format and .avi, I can upload the video onto dropbox and link it if you want.
Thank you.

Could you please try to install iRedMail on a fresh server OS with below steps:

1: Install Debian/Ubuntu with minimal package sets.
2: Install apache packages without any modifications. Make sure you have /etc/apache2/conf-available/security.conf and /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.conf available.
3: Install iRedMail by following its installation guide.

It seems that I am not the only one who experienced the similar situation.
The problem is that there is no applications (phpmyadmin...) installed on your machine, that's why you got 404 error, not Apache problem. Go and check /var/www/html, I bet it is empty.

jellday wrote:

The problem is that there is no applications (phpmyadmin...) installed on your machine, that's why you got 404 error, not Apache problem. Go and check /var/www/html, I bet it is empty.

You're wrong.
On Debian/Ubuntu, web applications will be installed under /usr/share/apache2/, e.g. phpMyAdmin, Roundcube webmail, not under /var/www/html.

Thanks for letting me know that. But that folder is empty too, almost:

root@mail:/usr/share/apache2# ls
build  default-site  error  icons
root@mail:/usr/share/apache2# cd default-site
root@mail:/usr/share/apache2/default-site# ls
index.html

No idea at all. Could you please show me file /etc/apt/sources.list?