Topic: short question regarding multiple recipients

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): v0.1.8 (LDAP)
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
====

Hey dear iRedMail Support!

Short introduction to my problem:

We're running an iRedMail Server since several years now. We currently use the free edition of iredadmin. We add and deactivate users via scripts from our central ID-management server where our office adds and removes employees. We don't use iredmail's internal LDAP Server for showing the currently active addresses in roundcube, instead we query our own LDAP Server from our ID-management server.

Now we've got some problems regarding the actuality of the data. When someone sends mass-mails (newsletter and so on) they go to our LDAP-Webinterface (contagged), search for the users and export the list with email adresses to their mail program of choice. What happens now:

When sending the mass-mail, iredmail seems to check all the recipients before sending the mail. When a single address isn't correct (due to false email data) the mail isn't sent and the program tells what email adress isn't working. This is no big deal if it's just some recipients, but in case the user wants to send to 300 addresses the check takes some time and only reports one address. After the false address is removed the same process starts again: Check addresses (5-10 minutes), reporting one false adress, removing address and so on.

The question: Is there a possibility to tell the iredmail server to send the mail to all the addresses working and just send back an error message for the ones that didn't work? Just like let's say google mail would do it? Send it to all addresses that work, and answer with a single mail per not working email adress?

kind regards,
igot2b

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: short question regarding multiple recipients

Please try to remove 'reject_unknown_recipient_domain' in Postfix config file /etc/postfix/main.cf, reload/restart Postfix service and try again.

Hey Zhang! Thank you for your reply.

For the sake of understanding: Our server hosts the domain example1.com

I just tested this and this is working perfectly for domains outside of our mailserver (example2.com, example3.com) . If I'm sending to recipients that are on the domain that is hosted on our mailserver (example1.com), i get another error message: "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table"

kind regards,
igot2b

I would suggest you to make sure, those emails are send via SMTP authenticated session.
Then you can selectively disable some check for authenticated users only. This will keep the checks on for the rest of the world which is IMO essential.

To do it, you can simply move the permit_sasl_authenticated check towards the beginning of restrictions. Everything after this check will not be applied for authenticated users.

To make it work as excepted, you also need to set smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no to turn off implicit recipient check.

Hey camel,

thanks for your reply. Keeping this check for the rest of the world is ofc essential.

I tried what you just told me and I'm still receiving error messages. I'll post the part of my main.cf, maybe you can check if I did something wrong?

smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:7777, permit_mynetworks, reject_sender_login_mismatch

kind regards,
igot2b

Did you fixed up also the smtpd_recipient_restrictions?

Wow, I'm a complete postfix noob smile

This is working as expected! So thank you very much for your input camel, it's great to get feedback also from the iRedMail community.

kind regards,
igot2b

*) You messed up 'smtpd_sender_restrictions'. Please use the original/default setting set by iRedMail. Your requests don't need changing it.

*) What you need is: comment out 'smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient=yes' (or set it to no), remove 'reject_unlisted_recipient' in 'smtpd_recipient_restrictions'.

so the correct settings would look like this?

smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:7777, permit_mynetworks, reject_sender_login_mismatch, permit_sasl_authenticated
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_non_fqdn_recipient, check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:7777, permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname, reject_invalid_helo_hostname

It's ok.

You can also check our default settings here:
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/src/ … postfix.sh