Topic: Performance/Scale Question.

We have installed the free version, liked it, purchase the Pro (made management a breeze)... however, we are running into performance/scale issues. For example, I have a desktop, laptop, droid and iPad all monitoring the same mail account -- and based upon the default configuration -- I am getting connection timeout issues... click ok, then everything is fine until next collision (randomly through the day).

a) How do we scale to support 4 or 5 devices polling the same IMAP account for new mail without opening ourselves up to problems?

b) Sending outbound, I can read/reply to 4 or 5 messages a minute -- I see 1 sometimes 2 emails getting stuck in outbox.

I get: The server response was: An error occurred while sending this message using the SMTP server “(null)”

wait a minute, send, wait another minute, send - no problems -- this is WAY TOO SLOW.

Is there a document how to ramp up? We are a large mail service for a couple niche industries -- and this system is scheduled for production in the morning -- 7 of us are using it live, and 2 or 3 of us are seeing the problem I am describing above.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 6
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Performance/Scale Question.

ozznixon wrote:

a) How do we scale to support 4 or 5 devices polling the same IMAP account for new mail without opening ourselves up to problems?

Please increase value of "mail_max_userip_connections" in Dovecot config file (/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf), default is 10. for example:

protocol imap {
    mail_max_userip_connections = 20
}

Restarting Dovecot service is required.

ozznixon wrote:

I get: The server response was: An error occurred while sending this message using the SMTP server “(null)”
wait a minute, send, wait another minute, send - no problems -- this is WAY TOO SLOW.

*) iRedMail doesn't have default outbound throttling with iRedMail-0.8.6.
*) Which mail clients did you use to send email?
*) Where did you get this error message? In Postfix log file, or in your mail client program like Outlook, Thunderbird?

ozznixon wrote:

support wrote:

*) iRedMail doesn't have default outbound throttling with iRedMail-0.8.6.
*) Which mail clients did you use to send email?
*) Where did you get this error message? In Postfix log file, or in your mail client program like Outlook, Thunderbird?

.... That actual message is from Apple Mail. however, everyone is experiencing the same type of problems using thunderbird, outlook, apple mail, and a mobile devices... It may be an IMAP issue (moving to sent during the send). I will make your change in half an hour when I get to the office ... And I will let you know what we see throughout the day. I have pushed migration off until tomorrow, just to make sure. We have about twenty power users 100s of emails a minute. Everyone else are casual users.

Ozz
3f, LLC
www.3fwebhosting.com

Still having a problem -- made above change, bounce Dovecot.

Apple mail: The server response was: mail.3flabs.com Error: timeout exceeded

when trying to send an email.

also, we get this occasionally, during send...

Connections to host mail.3flabs.com on the default ports failed.

ozznixon wrote:

Still having a problem -- made above change, bounce Dovecot.

Try increase "process_limit" in Dovecot config file, in block "protocol imap {}". For example:

protocol imap {
    process_limit = 2048
}

Default is 1024.