1 (edited by jpunix 2014-02-11 00:22:23)

Topic: Aliases under iRedMail?

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: latest version
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: /var/log/mail.log
====

Pardon me if this question has been asked. Please point me to the URL that answers it so I can try to get aliases to work?

I have several mail aliases that point to a common address. I've tried adding the aliases to /etc/aliases as well as /etc/postfix/aliases. I've run the "newaliases" command in both instances. No matter what I try I get the error:

Feb 10 10:53:09 alpha postfix/smtpd[2200]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 550 5.1.1 <xxx@jpunix.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<yyy@jpunix.net> to=<xxx@jpunix.net> proto=ESMTP helo=<[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]>

What step am I missing? What do I need to do to get aliasing to work?

Thank you in advance!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Aliases under iRedMail?

You need to setup the aliases in iRedAdmin (I'm not sure, if it's possible in free version) or directly in mysql database.

I do it in database - dbname vmail, table aliases... address is the original "from" email and goto is the target account name.

@camel1cz gives you the right answer. Thanks camel1cz. smile

Addition notes:

*) iRedMail configures Postfix to use /etc/postfix/aliases, not /etc/aliases.

*) /etc/postfix/aliases is used to create alias for system accounts (e.g. root), not for virtual mail accounts (e.g. User@domain.com).

You can either create mail aliases with sql command line tool, web based tool, or our admin panel - iRedAdmin-Pro. Check features here:
http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

Online demo:
http://www.iredmail.org/admin_demo.html

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

@camel1cz gives you the right answer. Thanks camel1cz. smile

Hi Zhan,

I'm a bit confused by this issue. I have the cajuntechie.org domain. In that domain, I have a real user called 'anthony@cajuntechie.org'. I wanted to create an alias of techie@cajuntechie.org that pointed to the anthony@cajuntechie.org address.

I went into the vmail database table and and created a new entry where I set 'address' to 'techie@cajuntechie.org' and 'goto' to anthony@cajuntechie.org. I reloaded Postfix, sent an email to techie@cajuntechie.org, and Postfix rejected it as an unknown user.

What am I doing wrong?

You have correct value for SQL column "alias.address" and "alias.goto", but do you have values for other columns? Please show us output of below SQL command:

mysql> USE vmail;
mysql> SELECT * FROM alias WHERE username='techie@cajuntechie.org' \G

6 (edited by cajuntechie 2014-02-12 11:18:36)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You have correct value for SQL column "alias.address" and "alias.goto", but do you have values for other columns? Please show us output of below SQL command:

mysql> USE vmail;
mysql> SELECT * FROM alias WHERE username='techie@cajuntechie.org' \G

Hi Zhang,

Thanks for the reply. Figured it out though. I had forgotten to include the domain that the alias was for in the domain field. It's working now!