Topic: Migrate MySQL to LDAP

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 7.3
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: none
====
Hi Zhang,
I have a mail server running on Debian 7.3 using iRedMail v0.8.6, with MySQL.
I would like to migrate to a LDAP backend. LDAP server is not already installed.
What are the steps I would need to follow to migrate my server to a LDAP backend,
retaining the mail boxes of my customers?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Migrate MySQL to LDAP

Unfortunately, we don't have tools to migrate mail accounts between different backends. You have to write some scripts to migrate mail accounts.

Just curious, may i know why you want to switch from MySQL to OpenLDAP?

I just want to add new services for users as:
OwnCloud (http://owncloud.org),
Jabber with one account.
Opportunity to access contacts from Android, iOS by LDAP.

From my experience *SQL backends are much more flexible and on the end reliable than LDAP.

Some years ago I used LDAP and it was really pain - access rights, change of structure, even simple dump/reload was problematic. Sure, most of the above mentioned comes from my "LDAP ignorance" - I'm not BFU but still can't use LDAP intuitivly. LDAP is simply "too different" than all other SW I use on day to day basis.

In your place, I would try to avoid LDAP and do some middleware between your DB and other services...

camel1cz wrote:

Some years ago I used LDAP and it was really pain - access rights, change of structure, even simple dump/reload was problematic.

I think you can get rid of above issues with slapd.d format config instead of 'slapd.conf' format, no service restart is required anymore.
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/slapdconf2.html