1 (edited by tstraus13 2014-01-25 05:06:29)

Topic: iRedMail 0.8.6 Default Config (SMTP/IMAP)

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 13.10
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I am trying to figure out what the default configuration for iRedMail is for setting up the SMTP, IMAP, and possibly POP as well but I do not use POP. So when I went to testing out the SMTP (Postfix) server I sent over port 25 and port 587. Is there a difference in sending over either? When I try sending a message through Thunderbird I can get a message to send over either port using STARTTLS, which is great and good for security. I was just under the impression that sending of port 587 would use SSL/TLS. Though when I try to use blat.exe (Command Line based email program) I can send find over port 25 with authentication but not over port 587. So I am just a little confused on how exactly the SMTP server is configured. It seems for IMAP it makes more sense to me. IMAP over port 143 uses STARTTLS and over PORT 993 uses SSL/TLS in Thunderbird. Is this the same result for anyone else? Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.