Topic: Questions from new user

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 7.2
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
Hi,

I am a new user testing the mailserver on VB. The installation was really easy. Thanks. I have been thinking about using Kolab but it seems to me that iRedMail is more mature. So I will go with iRedMail.

I installed iRedMail och a fresk Debian server and then proceeded with installation of ownCloud to test how they work together. I had to do some changes to the setup.

1. I changed AllowOverride to All in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default to enable .htaccess
2. I ran a2enmod rewrite and a2enmod headers and restarted the apache2 service.

These changes did not seem to affect the mailserver since I had no problem to login to my inbox afterwards. Is it OK to do this?

Now when I have owncloud on the server, is it possible to integrate the calendar and files into roundcube just like it is on Kolab?

And finally, when everything is set up is it just enough to point my mx records from my domain registrar to DynDns to make the mail to work?

Thanks for your help!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Questions from new user

johan wrote:

1. I changed AllowOverride to All in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default to enable .htaccess
2. I ran a2enmod rewrite and a2enmod headers and restarted the apache2 service.
These changes did not seem to affect the mailserver since I had no problem to login to my inbox afterwards. Is it OK to do this?

It's fine.

johan wrote:

Now when I have owncloud on the server, is it possible to integrate the calendar and files into roundcube just like it is on Kolab?

If you have related plugins for Roundcube, you can do it.

johan wrote:

And finally, when everything is set up is it just enough to point my mx records from my domain registrar to DynDns to make the mail to work?

I'm not familiar with DynDNS, but if you're using a dynamic IP address (like ADSL), you'd better get a static IP address for mail server. Because most ISPs (like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc) blocks email sent from dynamic IP address.

3 (edited by johan 2013-11-28 16:07:06)

Ok, thanks a lot for your answer!

My initial plan was to run the mailserver at home on my own box but since I have dynamic IP that's not going to work. I will have to rent a VPS initially to set up the mailserver until I can sort out a static ip from my ISP.

When I setup the debian server, does iRedMail scripts work with systemd?

I see in this forum that the help the members recieve is excellent. I am very impressed!

johan wrote:

When I setup the debian server, does iRedMail scripts work with systemd?

iRedMail works with Debian 7.

May i why you care about systemd? iRedMail just installs packages from Debian official apt repositories, if the package work with systemd, then iRedMail is fine.