======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.4 x 64
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi There!

I am new to iRedMail. I have some question to ask b4 I setup iRedMail

My domain is example.com ( registered with Godaddy )
I have setup an account with DigitalOcean.

At Godaddy DNS list I key in 3 DigitalOcean Name Server.
Next I create a droplet in digital Ocean with hostname (example.com). Then digital Ocean send me my hostname ip address with password access.

The question is how do I create a iRedmail Server (mail.example.com). Do I create a new droplet and hostname it as mail.example.com and reinstall iRedmail within this hostname. Then if I need to setup a second iRedMail Server (mail2.example.com). I create another droplet and give it a hostname (mail2.example.com) and install iRedmail on this second hostname?

Then how do Setup the DNS of the virtual domain registered with Godaddy? Take for example. I registered a domain (appletree.com) with godaddy. What should I key in the DNS list of godaddy to ensure I am able to receive email from Yahoo and Google.

Thanks to all and specially Mr ZhangHuangbin

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How do you setup iredmail?

*) You can use whatever FQDN as server hostname. e.g. mail.example.com, mail2.example.com. But please do not use the email domain names which you're going to serve mail service. For example, if your email address will be xxx@example.com, then do not use 'example.com' as server hostname; if it will be 'xxx@mail.example.com', then do not use 'mail.example.com' as server hostname.

Let's say your mail server has hostname 'mail.example.com', this server hosts multiple mail domains including 'example.com'.

*) In DNS control panel, add an A record for your server hostname. e.g. mail.example.com, point to the IP address of this server.
*) Add MX record for your mail domain, e.g. example.com, to the server which hosts this mail domain - 'mail.example.com'. NOTE: MX record must be a FQDN which points to a valid IP address, not an IP address.

MX record is used for mail service, other ISPs like Gmail/Yahoo will query MX record of your mail domain, then deliver emails to the servers listed in your MX record.

It's better to read some documents about A/MX records. Google is a good teacher.

3 (edited by tiancimailguard-iredmail 2013-11-17 21:08:36)

Thank You Mr. Zhang. I have googled and most sites instructed about how to install iredmail on different Linux OS.

I've install the iRedMail on my registered domain. Basically the front page look like this.

PunBB bbcode test

The hostname

express.xxx.co

The postmaster web address

postmaster@xxx.co

I assumed this is what you mean.

And the following is from my second registered domain hosted by Godaddy with owncloud service.

PunBB bbcode test

but when I sent email from Yahoo and Google to this virtual domain I always get MAILER-DAEMON
Mail server for "xxx2.com" unreachable for too long.

I am able to receive internal email and external email (Yahoo and Google) for the xxx.co domain
and unable to receive external email for virtual email domain xxx2.com.

Thank you Mr Zhang

Please make sure you have correct MX (and A) records for your second domain 'xxx2.com'.

5 (edited by tiancimailguard-iredmail 2013-11-20 00:07:16)

Thanks you Mr Zhang. Finally able to test out iRedMail properly. The installation is very simple. Once installation completed you can send and receive email (internal and external)from the original domain. The only problem is the virtual domains you going to setup. Administrators need to setup A and MX on all the virtual domains' DNS to point to the iRedMail Server Domain or IP address in order to receive external email.

And it has come to my attention that I need to do a power cycle on my VPS every hour or two in order to receive email from other servers on the globe and there is a delay of 20 minutes or more to receive clam. Does Pro version comes with life time support as well?

tiancimailguard-iredmail wrote:

Does Pro version comes with life time support as well?

Pro version is a web-based admin panel. Lifetime license means life time support for iRedAdmin-Pro itself, not includes iRedMail.